Author Topic: Emergency Light Inspection and Testing BS5266-1:2005  (Read 39510 times)

Offline Slither

Emergency Light Inspection and Testing BS5266-1:2005
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 03:31:45 PM »
Sorry to jump in here at the end, but as i understand things there is a system out there that does all the testing automatically and then sends the info back via radio and a GSM concentrator. I think it is then hosted on a web page with a secure login. Alerts are sent either by text or email specified by you for any faults that happen. I believe the company who makes them is Radio-Tech, not sure of location but you will probably find on the web.

Chris Houston

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 04:04:37 PM »
Quote from: Slither
Sorry to jump in here at the end, but as i understand things there is a system out there that does all the testing automatically and then sends the info back via radio and a GSM concentrator. I think it is then hosted on a web page with a secure login. Alerts are sent either by text or email specified by you for any faults that happen. I believe the company who makes them is Radio-Tech, not sure of location but you will probably find on the web.
Stephen,

You don't know the address of the company you work for?  How odd!  :lol:

Chris.

Graeme

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 11:45:02 AM »
i would personally love all emergency lighting systems to be based on this idea

http://www.advel.co.uk/Light.htm

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 11:46:51 AM »
Quote from: confused guest
Hi, I am a confused person working in a small company. We have a maintenance company  which has previously provided us with two, six monthly tests of our lighting system.  They are now telling us that pursuant to the latest edition of BS5266 we are required to undertake eleven monthly inspections and a single annual inspection.  However, they are still offering us the original two, six monthly tests.

What I need to know is whether the eleven monthly inspections are now mandatory or simply recommended and whether it is still legal to simply undertake the two, six monthly tests.   Please could someone advise on the position? Thank you very much.
Hi Confused person.
If you work in a small company do you work in a small building? Did the building need safety lighting in the first place or was it installed because someone did not read the codes?
Many designers blitz a building with safety lighting because they don't know where or when it is not necessary.
Just my view only and I'm not saying it applies to you but I have been around the block long enough to know when people are being screwed.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 05:15:42 PM »
In late June I promised to confirm some details of emergency lighting test switches upon my return from holiday.

This link shows examples, including a timed test switch:

http://www.blesales.co.uk/content/products.php?ID=test

p.s. - I haven't just got back from my hols. I only went for a couple of days and I just forgot about my promise. Please don't tell Professor Kurnal of my failure - he'll just convince Matron to give me a jab for Alzheimers!

Offline Mark64

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 09:38:02 PM »
Could someone please help me.......
what are the different categories in relaition to BS5266-1 :2005 clause 7.10

many thanks

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 12:33:31 AM »
a) Type:

X self-contained; ------- Batteries integral with the unit
Y central supply; ------- Emergency power from a central battery source or generator

b) Mode of operation:
0 non-maintained; ------ Not lit under normal power, unit lights up on mains failure
1 maintained; ------ Constantly lit, both under normal power & if that fails, on emergency power
2 combined non-maintained; ------ ???
3 combined maintained; ------- ???
4 compound non-maintained;  --------- ???
5 compound maintained; --------- ???
6 satellite; ------- ???

c) Facilities:

A including test device; ------ ??? built in test button or infra red test facility ???
B including remote rest mode; -------- ???
C including inhibiting mode; ------ ???
D high risk task area luminaire; ------ Designed to meet the specific illumination times and lighting level for use as high risk task safety lighting as oppose to escape use only

d) Duration of emergency mode (in minutes) for a self-contained system:
10 to indicate 10 min duration;
60 1 h duration;
120 2 h duration;
180 3 h duration.

I've only answered the ones I'm 100% on. I'd guess included in b) 2-6 would be the old 'sustained' type (normal on/off bulb and secondary bulb in NM mode) and the conversion kit fitting (same bulb can be used as on/off normal use fitting & also has NM back up)
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline duracell

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 12:29:40 PM »
Hi New here,

Looking for an easier way to test our em lights. We have some 500 individual emergency lights of all types scattered around various buildings from a conference centre, laboratories, hostels and offices some tenanted. It takes us about a day and a half to just carry out the  function test. Many of our systems have been in operation for many years and are of many different configurations. Converting all our systems to automatic would be very expensive indeed. I have seen one sytem i am interested in that uses the mains to transmit the data therefore removing the need for additional data cables. Anyone had experience of this system http://www.kdelectronics.co.uk/elt.htm.

Having read this topic is it right that the reports generated from the automated testing systems cannot be used as proof of testing or am i reading it all wrong?

Offline Galeon

• Dont ask me on here for advice , come down the Pub
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 12:12:58 AM »
Had a look at the site , seems quite good in principle , however they are looking for a test site so you don't know at present , you obviously could be their test site.
As with all new technology , it will have to bed in and any British Standard when amended will have to qualify this as an acceptable way forward and read between the lines at the moment , but getting it into the industry will be another matter. My view is you are looking at two schemes , brand new installation and retro fit .
New technology needs to be embraced , cctv was banded about some 7 years ago , and that has gone very quiet.
Its time to make a counter attack !

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 06:45:14 AM »
Couple of observations.

The website must be fairly old because the testing regime they describe is not in accordance with BS5266 part 1  as changed in 2004. There is no requirement for six monthly partial discharge tests anymore.

The site does not describe how the system works- you may have have a mixture of maintained and on maintained units. Is it configurable so that for the maintained units both functions are tested?

What is the interface to the mains supply to drop the feed for the function test?

You need to carry out a cost benefit analysis. Retro fit of this type of system is likely to be difficult and expensive and will only give you limited information- it will tell you a unit has failed- it wont tell you why.

If you have a large site it may be more cost effective to carry out a value check of how and what you are checking and when.

You may be able to subdivide the testing regime into a quarter of the units per week so all are tested monthly.
You may be able to - having satisified yourself that all units are correctly wired to operate on local sub-circuit failure, check the maintained units are operating in mains mode then cut the entire power to a lighting circuit  and check them all in one sweep- rather than operating each test switch in turn.

The work may be delegated to fire wardens who can be given a checklist of items in their area of responsibility to check- for example fire exits are clear and unobstructed, that the extinguishers are in place and satisfactory, that exit doors open and are not stuck in their frames, that signs are in place, no untested electrical equipment in use, no build up of waste materials.

Finally remember the BS is not necessarily gospel- just recommended best practice. Theres absolutely no reason why you should not deviate from its guidance provided in doing so  you are satisfied that you are achieving the same degree of safety.

You may find this thread also of interest

http://www.fire.org.uk/punbb/upload/viewtopic.php?id=1149

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 07:01:53 AM »
Quote from: Graeme

Yes it looks brilliant in principle- has it taken off at all though? Looking at the manuals they are all dated 2002 and refer to obsolete versions of windows (W95, 98 and ME, connection  from panel to pc via 9600 modem.)

Makes me think there was not sufficient take up to make it viable?

Offline Wiz

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
Quote from: kurnal
Quote from: Graeme

Yes it looks brilliant in principle- has it taken off at all though? Looking at the manuals they are all dated 2002 and refer to obsolete versions of windows (W95, 98 and ME, connection  from panel to pc via 9600 modem.)

Makes me think there was not sufficient take up to make it viable?
About 15 years ago I had experience of a system that used the normal mains wiring to send data to receivers that were used to switch normal lighting. The idea being that a central controller could ensure 'neccessary' lighting was on when it needed to be and 'uneccessary' lighting off when it should be.

The system was installed in a large public building where the potential cost-savings in energy use were considered enough to cover the initial equipment costs.

The system proved to be a disaster. The data was affected by slight earth to neutral faults and to electrical 'spikes' on the circuit.  Lights were flashing on and off all over the place!

It is my belief that these sort of systems really only work where all 'receivers' are on the same electrical phase, the electrical installation is fairly new and is not too large i.e. domestic is suitable but commercial isn't.

I think you'll find that the above is why the best-selling emergency lighting centrally controlled automatic emergency lighting systems always have a seperate control data cable!