Author Topic: Mr/Miss Fireman UK  (Read 21037 times)

Offline Hurcules

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« on: January 15, 2007, 02:02:04 PM »
The Hurcules Cup is takin place at the liverpool Olympia on May 12th. We hope to make this the Norths premier independant bodybuilding comp.

We have incorparated Mr/Miss Firefighter UK into the event. This part of the comp will be open to any member of the fire service to enter. On the evening there will be a collection through the audience and the winner will choose which charity this money goes to.

The winner of the Mr and Miss Fireman Competition will also receive £150 for winning their class.

IF you would like more details on entering or would like a poster for your station please email directly at Hurculescup@gmail.com

The website will be up and running in the next few days.

Offline fireftrm

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 04:24:47 PM »
Re: FIREMAN : Please note that such a term is no lonmger used and rather inappropriate for you to promote, especially as you are looking to have a Mr/Miss version! We use Firefighter.

Out of interest I note the 'not so clever' mispelling of Hercules for this body building competition!
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline Rich

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 05:10:30 PM »
Quote from: fireftrm
Re: FIREMAN : Please note that such a term is no lonmger used
It may not be officially but heres one for the ointment - a colleague of mine quotes that he finds the term 'fighter' aggressive in nature and does not wish to be addressed as so.

Where do we go from here - Pyrotechnician???
I am sorry if I offend anybody although if gold medals were dished out for it I would have quite a few!!

Offline Hurcules

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 05:23:27 PM »
Sorry to any offended we have amended the name to firefighter and will leave it as this as pyrotechnicians are people that set off fireworks for a living

Offline Pip

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 09:49:04 AM »
Quote from: Rich
It may not be officially but heres one for the ointment - a colleague of mine quotes that he finds the term 'fighter' aggressive in nature and does not wish to be addressed as so.

yes, 'Fire Supression Technician' is much more appropriate :-)

Graeme

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 12:29:02 PM »
Quote from: Rich

tell him to get a life.  Everyone is turning pc mad in this country.

Offline fireftrm

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 04:34:24 PM »
PC mad? I hardly think that suggesting that Miss Fireman is wrong being PC, if I were a female being called Miss Man would be wholly inappropriate. Also as we actually do have the role Firefighter and no such thing as Fireman, so it is not about being PC it is about being right.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline maineroad

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 05:52:55 PM »
my daughter used the term fireman, can we arrange for the thought police to attend ASAP

Offline fireftrm

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 09:29:57 AM »
Depending on how old she is she may well do, but would she want to be called Miss Fireman,...........

I know plenty of kids who say Fireman - but they inevitably consider that the person they are referring to is a man.

Offline maineroad

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 06:42:16 PM »
Pesky kids using old labour sterotypes wait until the sisters down at the ministry find out ,respect & diversety courses all round at the double!!!!

Offline Julie Andrews

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 10:33:23 PM »
If people ask me what I do for a living, I tell them I'm a fireman. At work my rank is Firefighter.

Firefighter is such a cheesy term. I avoid it where possible.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 11:50:26 PM »
But I reckon only a woman can get away with that Julie. If a man tried to describe himself as a fireman he would be accused of reinforcing the sexual stereotype.
We are all equal but some of us are perceived as being more equal than others or having been so in the past and so have less freedom of expression now.

Offline Julie Andrews

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 08:25:17 AM »
I'm actually a bloke - my nickname is "Julie" because my surname is "Andrews".

I refer to myself as a fireman. There's nothing sexist about that. But yes, collectively we are Firefighters.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 11:05:14 AM »
Well I never
Never judge a book by its title. Sometimes the cover is a better guide.

Everybody calls me colonel but I am a pacifist.

Offline lucky

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 07:15:42 PM »
What about,a Person who Puts out Fires,recues Cats,Fits Smoke Alarms,Rescues Trapped people,gives advice on  Fire safety,Cleans the Fire Appliance.Or Fireperson.