Author Topic: The UK Salvage Corps  (Read 48155 times)

The UK Salvage Corps
« on: September 07, 2004, 01:29:13 PM »
Can anyone tell me about the Slavage Corps operatedin Liverpool and London.

There isn't much info about them on the net.

I understand that they looked like fireman drove fire engines with blue lights and hadtheir own fire stations.

But were they funded by insurance companies? What was the complete nature of their work?

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 01:39:36 PM »
Sorry for the spelling mistakes by the way!!! I type too fast

Offline Giovanni

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 02:54:03 PM »
Guest,
The Salvage Corps operated in London, Glasgow & Liverpool up until about the mid eighties. The were indeed funded by insurance companies and would attend incidents as requested by the fire brigade to carry out a wide range of salvage duties. They drove about in salvage tenders many of which transferred to brigade use on the disbandment of the Corps and did have blue lights fitted. Their appearance was similar to fire fighters except they had their own helmet badge and insignia. Glasgow Salvage Corp if memory serves me was based in the city centre and would respond to incidents all over Strathclyde. They carried a wide array of salvage equipment from smoke extraction to basic tools and ofcourse a plentiful supply of salvage sheets!
If you consider their pay masters being insurance companies it will give you a fair idea of their duties, ranging from making damaged buildings weatherproof, smoke clearance and controlling water damage. They were also equipped to work inside the building during the fire to prevent further damage to property but not firefighting.
Their demise came as a result of economics at the end of the day, other major towns and cities functioned without them and fire crews would do the salvage work so why not in the three cities which had them.
I know in Glasgow some Salvage Corp members joined the fire brigade from the Corp at it's end.
Gio :lol:

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 03:37:37 PM »
Thanks Gio I was unfortunately unaware until yesterday that such corps existed. What flummoxed me slightly was someone showed me a photo of a salvage tender from the Liverpool Salvage Corps and because it was fitted with blue lights I thought the corps must have been a local authority service.

So wasn't sure how it was operated and administered.

I was suprised they lasted up until as recently as 1984

Anyone got anymore information?

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 03:48:39 PM »
Sorry for the spelling mistakes by the way!!! I type too fast

spafe!

Chris Houston

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 04:33:36 PM »
:arrow: While we are on the subject of history, it was insurance companies that originally formed fire brigades.   :idea:

Offline Giovanni

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 08:44:13 AM »
Quite right Chris. Wasn't it the case though that insured properties were identified by an insurance company's plaque on the wall and if no plaque, no fire fighting? It was early days after all!
Gio. :shock:

Chris Houston

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 09:16:22 AM »
Indeed.  You can see examples of these plaques by searching under "Fire Insurance" on e-bay.

I wonder if in reality they would help people out...........perhaps some of the older members on the forum can remember...... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 09:45:38 AM »
So even up until 1984 the corps would only respond to calls to buildings which had insurance with a particular company only - a company that subscribed to the salavge corps presumably.

What did the local fire brigade think of them?

Offline Giovanni

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 02:32:38 PM »
Guest,
I think you have the wrong end of the stick. The insurance plaques referred to the early brigades set up by insurance companies not the salvage corp. I do not know for sure if they had specific criteria before they would turn out but I remember working beside them in many locations including residential properties where they would have no idea of whether the householders carried insurance.
In the three cities which had a corp I am certain firefighters would agree that they were a good thing, even if only because it meant we didn't have to do a lot of the boring salvage work! It is easy to think of them as some sort of poor relation but in fact they did have a specific job to do.
Gio :lol:

Offline pugh

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 07:44:25 PM »
:D

Yes, I recall the Liverpool Salvage Corps.  Along with the Glasgow and London Corps they were absorbed into their local authority FB when the insurance companies ceased funding them.  Great shame as they did a terrific job and saved us fireys having to sweep water out of buildings, shore up, sheet up, etc, etc.  Great bunch of guys.

I recall attending one particular fire in a warehouse that stocked 'fire damaged' goods.    The Salvage Corps turned up and said that as the insurance company had paid to salvage the goods once they weren't going to do it again.  So they left.  Ce la vie! :lol:

Cheers

:)

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2004, 09:40:54 AM »
nothing in this world is new!

i attended a meeting of the national community fire safety user group recently and it was reported that an organisation exists (sorry cant remember - will have to check my notes/report) which carries out similar functions to those of the dear old salvage corps.

i'll try to find out more if i can and see if my memory is as bad as my note taking!

dave bev

Chris Houston

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2004, 03:58:45 PM »
Sorry to be a bit controversial, but I thought the role of salvage was that of the fire brigades - life and property..........

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2004, 04:44:53 PM »
no probs chris - controverse away!!

i cant remember any reference in the national framework document, it was in the old fire services act one of the 1 (1's) i think 1 1 e - and im not sure about the new fire services act/bill, best get my stuff out

anyone actually know before i spend hours reading and replying?

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2004, 04:53:53 PM »
yep its in there!

part 2 7 (e)

it states that they must make arrangents for ensuring reasonable steps are taken blah blah blah

so it doesnt stop them engaging other organisations to do it or to consider things unreasonable therefore not do anything!!

bring back the corpse !! (yes i spelt it correctly)