Author Topic: LPCB registration ?  (Read 22506 times)

Offline Benzerari

• http://benzerari.tripod.com/fas/
LPCB registration ?
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:20:20 PM »
Guys; little enquiry

For some one to start his own alarm business, is LPCB registration a must, to carry on alarm jobs, just as a service company doing; servicing commissioning, and fault finding... etc

And is there any other registrations, that has to be considered?

Thank you

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
LPCB registration ?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 10:33:59 PM »
Is it a must? Most alarm companies are not LPCB registered. What does it cost to join and how does the cost benefit analysis work for a new company starting his business? What about the FIA?

Offline Benzerari

LPCB registration ?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:03:12 PM »
Quote from: kurnal
Is it a must? Most alarm companies are not LPCB registered. What does it cost to join and how does the cost benefit analysis work for a new company starting his business? What about the FIA?
Question explained by other questions, some one once said, what is water? the answer was it's just water :)

Indeed waiting for other feedbacks...

Offline Thomas Brookes

LPCB registration ?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 02:19:50 AM »
Ive been in this industry quite a while and have never been asked for LPCB registration ever. I always ensure that the products i use have the registration but not as an engineer.  
I feel things like having the British Standard Kitemark and being ECA approved or BAFE etc would be more benificial.
I refuse to have a battle of wittts with an unarmed person.

Offline Benzerari

LPCB registration ?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 09:24:13 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Brookes
Ive been in this industry quite a while and have never been asked for LPCB registration ever. I always ensure that the products i use have the registration but not as an engineer.  
I feel things like having the British Standard Kitemark and being ECA approved or BAFE etc would be more benificial.
BAFE! indeed, also I have been told that LPCB registration is for manufacturers of fire alarm systems's equipments and not for service companies! is that correct?

Offline Big_Fella

LPCB registration ?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 10:09:30 PM »
LPCB encompasses LPS1014, which the installed, commissioning and servicing company would obtain.

Unlike BAFE approval scheme SP203, which is modular... i.e. a fire alarm company could gain SP203, in just installation or just commissioning or just servicing etc, LPS1014 is unlike this and therefore you must prove competenance in all these areas.

A fire alarm company may claim to have the BAFE SP203 certificate, but one should then as them which modules this covers.

Generally I find Government projects will require a company certified to LPS1014, although more and mroe 'major' organisations are asking for it, i.e. banking chains, and also insurance companies are increasingly requesting the fire detection system is installed to LPS1014.

Incidentelly, ince a new system is installed to LPS1014 and certified to this it must then be maintained by an LPS1014 company to validate the certificate.
** Knowledge is power, I'm still working on both **

Offline Benzerari

LPCB registration ?
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 10:49:59 PM »
Quote from: Big_Fella
LPCB encompasses LPS1014, which the installed, commissioning and servicing company would obtain.

Unlike BAFE approval scheme SP203, which is modular... i.e. a fire alarm company could gain SP203, in just installation or just commissioning or just servicing etc, LPS1014 is unlike this and therefore you must prove competenance in all these areas.

A fire alarm company may claim to have the BAFE SP203 certificate, but one should then as them which modules this covers.

Generally I find Government projects will require a company certified to LPS1014, although more and mroe 'major' organisations are asking for it, i.e. banking chains, and also insurance companies are increasingly requesting the fire detection system is installed to LPS1014.

Incidentelly, ince a new system is installed to LPS1014 and certified to this it must then be maintained by an LPS1014 company to validate the certificate.
Thanks Bigfella for this bit of light,

1   -   Would SP203 covering all modules be equivalent to LPS1014?

2   -   On what basis Government projects requires a company certified to LPS1014 rather than SP203?

3   -   Is BAFE more Government related rather than LPCB?

4   -   Why BAFE and LPCB are not setting up one standard certification rather than two?

5   -   If the FIA (Ex-BFPSA) is in charge to train engineers to do install, servicing, commissioning by the book, why should a company needs extra certification (as a company) such LPS1014 or SP203?

6   -  Why FIA, BAFE, LPCB are not acting to setup one single standard certification?

I just would to understand how things are sewed!

Graeme

LPCB registration ?
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 11:43:19 AM »
benz

your little smilie in your avatar says it all......:D

Offline Thomas Brookes

LPCB registration ?
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 03:07:42 PM »
Why are they not working to set up  a single standard ect ?.

It is this simple, They

a) All think they have the best idea's
b) make to much money to let any control go to someone else.

You also have to tip your hat to BAFE as being the best at marketing, they claim to be the governing body and are approved by everyone and usually have a massive presence at every fire exhibition or show going. All this and up to recently only had two employees.
Although the FIA and Bafe claim to be separate bodies, with them both using the same offices and sharing some of the staff I can not see how they can be separate.
I refuse to have a battle of wittts with an unarmed person.

Offline Galeon

• Dont ask me on here for advice , come down the Pub
LPCB registration ?
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 04:33:57 PM »
I for one will hopefully be retired gracefully before all this nonsense becomes an eventual reality.
I am all for a level playing field , but until you stop selling branded gear over a trade counter to all unsundry it makes a complete joke of the matter.
Its time to make a counter attack !

Offline Psuedonym

LPCB registration ?
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 05:44:24 PM »
Sales??
Oh no, please don't tell me these Must Have membership bodies are in it just for membership sales and backslapping???......Surely not..the, the, the dream of Quality has just been ruined!!!!!!
:(
Ansul R102 Kitchen Suppression Enthusiast

Created using refurbished electrons to ensure I do my bit to save the planet...Polar bear cubs saved so far:2.75. Reduced due to effects of Carbon Footprint on the carpet. It's a bugger to shift...

Offline Benzerari

LPCB registration ?
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 11:02:40 PM »
Quote from: Graeme
benz

your little smilie in your avatar says it all......:D
I am still stack in many issues these last days, will tel about in due time, that's what the avatar picture reflects :)

Offline Benzerari

LPCB registration ?
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 11:12:40 PM »
Only Thomas brook's answer was centralized into the gravity center, and thanks Thomas for that. However:

Guys; I am still more concerned to know about the inquiries posted previously, so any positive answers are more than grate

Thank you

Offline afterburner

LPCB registration ?
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 09:02:56 AM »
'centralised into the gravity centre' .......... wow ........ impressed ........... intimidated!

Offline Benzerari

LPCB registration ?
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 11:30:09 PM »
Outstandings:   ( ? )

1   -   Would SP203 covering all modules be equivalent to LPS1014?

2   -   On what basis Government projects requires a company certified to LPS1014 rather than SP203?

3   -   Is BAFE more Government related rather than LPCB?

4   -   Why BAFE and LPCB are not setting up one standard certification rather than two?

5   -   If the FIA (Ex-BFPSA) is in charge to train engineers to do install, servicing, commissioning by the book, why should a company needs extra certification (as a company) such LPS1014 or SP203?

6   -  Why FIA, BAFE, LPCB are not acting to setup one single standard certification?