Author Topic: british standard for fire evacuation  (Read 39851 times)

Offline Gary Morton

british standard for fire evacuation
« on: October 07, 2004, 03:20:01 PM »
Can anyone tell me the british standard for fire evacuation please?

Offline JamesG

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 12:29:53 PM »
Gary,

There isn't one specifically for fire evacuation (correct me if I'm wrong, guys).

If you are thinking of requirements for escape routes etc from buildings, then you will need to look in building regulations (Approved Document B) in England and Wales and Part E of the Scottish building regs guidance (can't remember the correct name for it - sorry all you Scots out there)

If this isn't what you are after, try searching the BSI online website http://bsonline.techindex.co.uk

Regards

James

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 03:39:14 PM »
Grab yourself a copy of "Fire safety - an emploers gude " available from all good stationary office books stores

It gives very good info on what you are looking for !

Offline Peter Wilkinson

• http://www.thefpa.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 04:56:41 PM »
I think that PD 7974-6:2004 is the document you are after.
(all the stuff I said above is purely my own personal view and in no way represents any official view of my employer)

Offline Bill J

• http://www.Bill-J.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 03:21:51 PM »
Is there a "Guide" to what is and what is not acceptable evacuation times for buildings?

Obviously it would depend on occupancy, Staircases, number of escapes, and there is probably reams of paper on how to complete engineered times and computer models.

It would help me immensely to have a table saying 6 floors, 2 staircases, commercial offices, 4 Minutes.

Simple I know but thats me all over?

Bill

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 04:23:40 PM »
Bill

Most current standards for means of escape (other than the engineering ones with hard sums in them) are based on a time of 2.5 minutes to evacuate a floor iether into a stairway or to outside air.

This figure doesn't have much to do with what actually happens which is far too complicated for anybody.

There are some rules for football grounds where they should be cleared in a minimum of 8 (i think) minutes. This is more to do with the fact that after this time people get a bit stressed out in a big crowd.

Offline Bill J

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 01:09:21 PM »
Thanks WB,

Is that available in text anywhere, I like to be able to refer to "stuff" when i am explaining why 11 minutes is a rediculously long time to evacuate a building.

Bill

Offline Paul

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 10:47:03 PM »
Dear Bill-J,

The only place you can get hold of this is from the BSI.  I think for a non member it is in the region of around £130, and for a member half.

If you do find a source to get it free, let me knowand I'll cancel my subscription of £1400ish a year.

P

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 08:11:33 AM »
Bill. 11 minutes isn't necesarily a problem. Large buildings can take 30 or 40 minutes or even longer.

The 2.5 minutes is what is used in the calculations and relates only to moving from the accomodation to a stairway (or final exit).

Is the 11 minutes something you have recorded during a drill?

Offline Bill J

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 12:20:01 PM »
Sorry should have explained myself better.

11 Minutes was a recent Evacuation Drill timing for a 3 floor single staircase premises, where the client believes 11 minutes is acceptable.

The same Client also believes its acceptable to allow smoking on the roof of his non smoking premises, and that audible alarms are not necessary in Lift Motor Rooms, as it is unlikely that anyone will be in there.

His normal response is show me the basis of your argument, so I thought I would ask the question.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 12:29:17 PM »
Sounds OK to me. 11 minutes for an "oh not another drill" type exercise is about right.

I would only worry if congestion on the stairway was causing a lot of queing on the floors. You could check the stair width with the population to see if things are as they should be.

Offline Ricardo

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 06:29:12 PM »
Under part E of Scottish technical standards (1993) version it quotes:

The intention of the requirements for means of escape is that everyone within a building may reach either a place of safety or, in certain circumstances a protected zone within 2(1/2) minutes of becoming aware of an outbreak of fire. The requirements for the number and width of exits assume a unit width of 530mm per person and a rate of discharge of 40 persons a minute. The allowable travel distance (the distance which it is assumed one can travel along an unprotected escape route within the time specified) varies according to the purpose group and situation.

However in the more up to date tech standards in Scotland (2001) amendment's, it says at the introduction to part E, "The intention of the requirements for means of escape is that everyone within a building may reach either a place of safety or, in certain circumstances, a protected zone within a reasonable travel distance. This also applies to the very latest Scottish Building Standards.

The undernoted details have been taken from the following,
Principles of Fire Safety (Fire Service College) notes,

Primary Construction
Applies to the main fabric of a building, walls, floors, roof & internal dividing walls
Buildings are categorised into 3 classes
Class A - complete non-combustible construction, i.e. elements of structure, floors, and walls. Supporting structure of brick or concrete.
Class B - traditional construction, i.e. non-combustible walls with combustible floors
Class C - combustible construction, i.e. timber floors & walls.

The times that are generally accepted are
Class A - 3 mins
Class B - 21/2 mins
Class C - 2 mins

These are not hard and fast times, and can be extended or reduced according to the particular circumstances of the case, but they do form a reasonable basis for most situations.
It seems that the most common of times quoted is 21/2 mins, and this has often been taken as a design guide. However, it’s authority rests more upon legend than fact. During a fire at the Empire Palace theatre in Edinburgh in 1911, the whole audience was reported to have been able to evacuate in the time that it took the orchestra to play "God Save the King, (21/2 mins, even though 10 people died backstage.

Other references to means of escape regarding evacuation times come from the following references.
1 - PG Wood -" A survey of Behaviour in Fires" & "Behaviour under Stress - people in fires".
2 - D Canter- "Behaviour of People, therefore fire situations "Domestic, multiple-occ & Hospital Fires”. Human Behaviour in fires & public buildings".  Studies of Human Behaviour in fire - Empirical Results & their implication and for Education & Design". & "Fires & Human Behaviour

Hope some of the above is of use to you.

Offline Bill J

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 01:07:00 PM »
Ricardo Thats pretty much what I needed.

Many Thanks for all your help guys.

Offline Ricardo

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 06:38:16 PM »
Hi Bill-J

Glad to be of assistance