Author Topic: Smoke Dampers  (Read 5894 times)

Offline Will Lloyd

• FIA
Smoke Dampers
« on: September 28, 2010, 09:52:05 AM »
A new hotel, with bedrooms covering three floors leading into communal corridors and one single stair well. Installed is an L1 fire alarm system with immediate evacuation to BS 5839-1:2002+A2:2008

BS 9999:2008 states in 33.4.5.1

“Smoke detector operated fire/smoke dampers should be installed in all occupancy characteristic Cii and Ciii buildings, unless all occupants of the building can be expected to make an unaided escape and an L1 fire alarm system is installed in accordance with the recommendations given in BS 5839-1:2002+A2:2008, in which case the following exceptions may be made.

a)   If the alarm system is arranged so that on the detection of smoke it signals the immediate evacuation of all the occupants of the building, then fire/smoke dampers are not needed.”

Consultants are arguing that they are needed. I would welcome any comments
Technical Manager
Fire Industry Association (FIA)

All comments and views are mine own and may not reflect the views of the FIA

Offline jokar

Re: Smoke Dampers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 11:08:20 AM »
I would doubt that any new hotel would be built to BS 9999 as it is very restrictive, ADB would be a much better option.  Reading the words you quote the issue of whether a disabled person can make an unaided escape will obviously arise but in all cases the temptation would be to say they could not but that would not be the case.  Assumptions about how people can escape should not be made and I would doubt that the dampers fit the case.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 07:46:26 PM »
Where are the dampers in question and what effect would their presence or lack of it make on the means of escape or compartmentation of the building?

Sorry to go off topic but whilst you are looking at it, take a good look at the bathrooms and ensure that if they are using prefabricated pods  this does not breach any fire protection of service shafts. I have found a number of "protected shafts" made of nothing but plywood.

Offline BCO

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »
Meph42,
a couple of points to note that may be of assistance.
The recommendations in BS 9999 for smoke detector operated dampers are much the same as ADB section 10.11-10.16 so ADB design or 9999 design the principles are the same. I.e. L1 with simultaneous evacuation then no need for fire/smoke dampers. However as Jokar rightly points out some occupants may need to remain in refuge areas until dealt with by the buildings management. The solution here is to ensure the refuge area (usually the lobby to the stair or the stair itself) is not breached by ventilation ductwork or if it is has smoke/fire dampers. If this was the case then it would be reasonable (and appears compliant) not to provide fire/smoke dampers elsewhere.