Author Topic: Gas Detection and remote sensors  (Read 5555 times)

Offline Richard Smith

• http://www.rcauk.com
Gas Detection and remote sensors
« on: July 12, 2005, 11:36:24 AM »
Dear All,

I would be grateful if you could give me some advice.

We manufacture the control electronics for a remote operated ground vehicle that is seeing some use in incident response. Currently the vehicle is equipped with cameras, thermal imager and radiation monitor. The operator has a single video screen with the sensor data displayed on the video screen with the currently selected camera view. We are looking to fit additional sensors starting with gas detection. My questions are:

If you could remotely check for gases what would be your top 3?
Are there common problem gases that you need to deal with?

We have a large number of sensors available to us, we want to work with the ones that solve a real problem.

We already have a Geiger counter and thermal imager, are there other sensors that would be useful on a remote platform that you would consider important? You can see a picture of the vehicle at the web site below.

Many thanks for any advice you can give us.

Regards

Richard Smith

www.rcauk.com

Robotic Control & Automation
C/o Smith Engineering, Solway Industrial Estate
Maryport, Cumbria, CA15 8NF, UK

Tel: +44 (0) 7812025724
Fax: +44 (0) 1900 815553
Email: richard@rcauk.com
Remote operated vehicles and electronics
www.rcauk.com

Offline Paul

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 06:00:44 PM »
Hi Richard,

I ahve done some work with a couple of units, but I think the best one I have used is the QRAE monitor.  It is basically used for testing confined spaced prior to entry for repair or engineering work, on say chemical vessels etc.

It basically monitors oxygen levels, and explosive levels, for say flammable gases produced by solvents or from hazardous material left in the vesells.

If you are working along side HAZMAT Units them Iwould suggest this to be a good option.  I have attached a link, hope its of use.

www.unidata-europe.co.uk/gas-detectors.html

Regards

Paul Smith

Offline Richard Smith

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 09:15:08 PM »
Thanks Paul,

The sensor you recommend looks good; I will need to check we can integrate it with our vision system to get the display relayed onto the screen. I will ring the company to check the coms system it has.

Many thanks

Richard Smith
www.rcauk.com

Offline Paul

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 12:17:43 PM »
Hi Richard,

May also be worth contacting Dragger, as they also produce gas monitors.  I have used them in the past but replaced the old monitors with the new QRAE and TOXIRAE.

I know Dragger do some work with communicating their equipment.  Suggest calling their techno team in Blythe.  Sorry don't have the number but check their web:

Good Luck,

Paul.

www.draeger.com/ST/internet/UK/en/Industries/GDS/gds_engineering.jsp

Offline Richard Smith

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 11:32:53 AM »
Thanks Paul,

I have started talking to uni-data and this looks more a better approach than developing out own sensor. I will also give dragger a try as you suggest.

Many thanks for your help. Hopefully this will result in a useful tool.
www.rcauk.com