Author Topic: Tirfor Winch  (Read 9251 times)

Offline hughesk

Tirfor Winch
« on: July 19, 2005, 12:52:38 PM »
Whats the lifting and pulling tonnage of the tirfor please?

Offline fireftrm

Tirfor Winch
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 05:21:51 PM »
Depends upon the size, for example the TU16 is 1.6tonne lift and 2.5tonne pull, now I wonder where they get the number from in the TU bit? Umm..................

Also a very quick web search (may I suggest that this is an excellent way to find out info - better even than a post on here!) came up with 12,300 hits and this one seems rather useful http://www.lifting-safety.co.uk/a4.php
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline dave bev

Tirfor Winch
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 06:56:04 PM »
hope the 12m exams were a bit more up to date than that! unless of course you have a very good 'eye' and can establish if something is too heavy by merely looking at it - or is that what the shear pins are for in terms of operating it!!

i really do despair at times - and we sometimes wonder what is meant by the term 'needing to modernise' - i just think we found one bloody good area to start with!

dave bev

Offline fireftrm

Tirfor Winch
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 07:08:07 PM »
Quite Dave. I am ever hopeful that the original Fire Service bull**** is going, but..........

I am a believer (though - as the edit shows - not so good a typist) in knowing how to use something safely and not knowing loads about its technical details. I read this post before the other one by Hugh, otherwise I would have said so rather than led him to the answers he sought! You will see I made just your point there! Reminds me of the 'how heavy can a BA set be?' from another developing Ff and his excellent managers..........
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline dave bev

Tirfor Winch
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 07:17:58 PM »
another one (we all have them no doubt) - whats the bhp (princess - that stands for Brake HorsePower)  of the stations main pumping appliance - my reply very enthusiastically - 480 at 2600 revs sir (i was a 'proby' and i spoke like that those days) - correct the DO said, not knowing i had just given him the telephone number of the fire station! the good side was that everyone thought i was a clever proby and stopped asking me stupid questions not long after, more in case of if i knew and they didnt, it wouldnt look good! the downside was though every time someone 'important' came round they wheeled me out to give a few 'good' answers but at least when the DO left we all got stand down!

thems was the days!

still, it takes all sorts, but if we reflect the community we serve, we should expect certain types at all levels!

dave bev

Offline fireftrm

Tirfor Winch
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 07:25:32 PM »
I had a FF on my watch who was aksed by the DO to tell him all he knew about Nitrate Salt baths.........

After a very silent minute, or so, the DO said 'well come on then get started!', to which the Ff replied 'start, sir? I've finished!'. Last time that DO asked any blitheringly stupid questions during inspections!

Offline dave bev

Tirfor Winch
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 08:20:38 PM »
i was on an hmi inspection, just when fitness was the new big thing. he asked one of the senior hands what he though of fitness regimes etc. the senior hand replied. excellent sir. im using it to try to reach my original weight, the hmi stupidly asked him what his original weight was - 8 pounds four ounces sir - cue for everyone to burst into laughter on the hmi's parade. laugh? we nearly died!

thanks mike (l-o-n-d-o-n road - albeit at thompson st) berry, for that one - it still makes me chuckle

dave bev

Offline hughesk

Tirfor Winch
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 08:23:33 AM »
Well they are starting to modernise the service or so they say. But sometimes I wonder, they ask such stupid daft questions and I can't see for the life of me why it would be that relevant.

Thanks gain all for your help and advice, completed my 12 month exam last night, think I done ok I suppose, got a few wrong but hopefully the correct ones will get me enough of a percentage to pass.

Cheers People

:O)