Author Topic: Dual staffing, and Thunderbird 2.  (Read 5407 times)

Offline toby14483

Dual staffing, and Thunderbird 2.
« on: November 21, 2007, 01:49:50 PM »
Right now, ALPs and ET's are staffed by the same people. (Not sure about other brigades, but bear with me). So if an ALP is out and an ET is needed, from the same station it can't turn out... you need to bring one in from another station (or return the ALP)..., thusly removing their capablility to turn out their own ALP, if they had one....anyway...this I'm sure most people agree is a bit silly.

I have heard that, this wont last long. There is an idea. A strange idea. An idea involving:

A flatbed lorry.

A crane lorry.

and Pods.

There will be several different station based 'pods' each for different curcumstances. Such as 'command support', 'water rescue', 'RTC', 'mountain rescue' and others that I cant be bothered to think about. So when a pod is needed on an incident, it is loaded and proceeds to the incident, drops off the pod and heads home...

My question.... is this system used in other counties and does it work? Is it as strange as it sounds? Will it work?

Interested in hearing opinions on this thing.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 01:55:14 PM »
Quote from: toby14483
Right now, ALPs and ET's are staffed by the same people. (Not sure about other brigades, but bear with me). So if an ALP is out and an ET is needed, from the same station it can't turn out... you need to bring one in from another station (or return the ALP)..., thusly removing their capablility to turn out their own ALP, if they had one....anyway...this I'm sure most people agree is a bit silly.

I have heard that, this wont last long. There is an idea. A strange idea. An idea involving:

A flatbed lorry.

A crane lorry.

and Pods.

There will be several different station based 'pods' each for different curcumstances. Such as 'command support', 'water rescue', 'RTC', 'mountain rescue' and others that I cant be bothered to think about. So when a pod is needed on an incident, it is loaded and proceeds to the incident, drops off the pod and heads home...

My question.... is this system used in other counties and does it work? Is it as strange as it sounds? Will it work?

Interested in hearing opinions on this thing.
If it saves money it will be deemed to be working. Doesn't matter about standards of cover any more.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline toby14483

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 02:11:14 PM »
You cynical view on the system is shared by all.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 02:47:13 PM »
Pods have been used in Merseyside for years and still are I believe. Can be very useful depends what they are being used for.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Midland Retty

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
West Mids use them and have done for years - think theyre generally accepted as being up to the job and useful, but I see where you are coming from

Offline johno67

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 07:10:37 PM »
It's not as strange as it sounds.

You have certain, demountable units is the official term, that carry general equipment that can be used by any crew at an incident, such as lighting, foam, salvage, breathing apparatus, command, haz subs etc.

You then have other pods, sorry demountable units, that carry major rescue equipment, environmental equipment etc. that have dedicated crews who are specifically trained in their use and turn out to any incident where the unit is required.

They have the advantage that the prime mover (the lorry that carries them) can turn out to the incident, drop them off then collect them when they are finished with, but in the meantime remain available to deliver other units should they be required.

It's not great being on a pod station as you are forever carrying out inventory checks and cleaning/maintaining the equipment carried on them, as not many people look after them at an incident as they are not usually from their home station.

I must admit I've been used to them for the last 21 years, and I think that they are a very good resource.
Likes to play Devil's Advocate