Author Topic: Fbt  (Read 5741 times)

Offline Chunty

Fbt
« on: January 17, 2008, 11:51:56 PM »
I work within local authority and RFFS; local authority include FBT in the program and quite rightly too,

In connection with my RFF service in the past twelve months myself and a colleague attended Devon to complete an FBTI course with two cracking instructors from Sweden. All the other FBTI's were local authority based, does anyone else in RFFS regularly practice FBT? I only ask out of interest as we are busy developing our FBT unit at present and so far no-one I've spoken to personally has stated that their airport includes it in the program.

Offline John Webb

Fbt
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 12:05:49 PM »
Chunty, sorry to be a bit dense but when I was in regular contact with the Fire Service 'Fbt' was the abbreviation for 'Fireboat'! I'd be grateful if you could tell me what 'FBT' is in the context you are writing about.
Many thanks in anticipation.
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Benfire

Fbt
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:47:30 PM »
I'm also retained and in the Airport RFFS.   My airpot has an agreement with the local authority FB to provide all airport firefighters with FBT training in return for the airport providing use of our aircraft training rig to all the local authority stations that could respond to an aircraft emergency at the airport.  I think we're meant to go for FBT refresher training every 2 years.

Offline Fireguy1230

Fbt
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 03:04:25 PM »
Hi Chunty

My airport also works closely with our local authority service with regards to training and information sharing, a mutual relationship that works really well.

But if you get in touch with Gatwick Airport, as they installed an Fire Behaviour Training (FBT!) Unit last year.

Offline John Webb

Fbt
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 07:19:13 PM »
Thanks Fireguy1230 - I wondered if it was something like that when Chunty's first post mentioned Sweden. So we're talking about flashover, 'back draught', gas cooling techniques etc.
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Offline cbfire999

• www.firesafety.org.uk
Fbt
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 09:39:25 PM »
The RAF and DFS have CFBT written into a number of their courses.  For example, basic, refresher and promotion courses.

Offline Chunty

Fbt
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 10:35:23 PM »
That's an encouraging response; for me in the two weeks I spent with the Swedes I learned more about the science and applying scientific practices at compartment fire incidents than I had from a combined 20 years in local authority and airport service. It wasn't just the science either, it was the attitude of our European cousins, absolute masters in their art with no need to shout about it, pure quality that myself and my colleague benefitted from enormously.

If any of you are lucky enough to get the chance to do an FBTI, I highly recommend Devon's BA training centre (which is next to Exeter Airport's fireground).