Author Topic: 3 flats converted building  (Read 3464 times)

Offline John@EPL

3 flats converted building
« on: April 30, 2008, 08:30:08 PM »
Hi guys,
I have a customer that has a  converted converted property housing 3 flats over 3 levels and lives on the 3rd floor herself. Access to the 3rd floor is via garden fire escape stairs, access to 2nd floor flat by front entrance and rear fire escape, ground floor by front entrance and back door.
So there is no communal stairs and landing apart from 10ft by front door. The council not interested in it as it doesn't come under their licensing/hmo rules.

So what fire system? L2 may be over the top as everyone has different access so you wouldn't be able to check in false alarms.
Cat D interlinked smoke detectors on separate circuits in each flat?? If so would I need to warn the adjacent flats of possible fire through a indicator type circuit?

Anyone done one of these recently? My instinct says cat d alarms in a all rooms, 3 separate circuits as that what seems to be in new flats.

Feel free to point out the obvious flaws to my plan please.

Cheers
John

Offline Big T

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 03:37:14 PM »
I would say it depends on the building construction, depends whether it requires evac or stay put. If the building has good compartmentation and alternative escapes internally why have a fire alarm at all? Battery operated detection would be sufficient as it is a domestic dwelling, unless it is social housing inwhich I think hardwired detection in each individual flat to warn the occupants of a fire internally would suffice.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 09:35:42 AM »
Quote from: Big T
I would say it depends on the building construction, depends whether it requires evac or stay put. If the building has good compartmentation and alternative escapes internally why have a fire alarm at all? Battery operated detection would be sufficient as it is a domestic dwelling, unless it is social housing inwhich I think hardwired detection in each individual flat to warn the occupants of a fire internally would suffice.
Big T has given good advice. Is that what you were looking for because I don't think it comes under RRO.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline John@EPL

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 03:25:31 PM »
Thats it I think. I just needed confirmation of what I was thinking. The customer wants to go for hardwired smoke and heat detectors as the ceilings are coming down during renovations, which is always a good start.  Council are not interested, So thought I'd get a second opinion. There are multiple exits and all 3 flats are self contained. 3 separate LD2's then.
Thanks all.
John