Author Topic: Mr/Miss Fireman UK  (Read 21036 times)

Offline Mr. P

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 08:39:09 AM »
Plain old emergency responder?

Chris Houston

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 05:38:22 PM »
Quote from: lucky
What about,a Person who Puts out Fires,recues Cats,Fits Smoke Alarms,Rescues Trapped people,gives advice on  Fire safety,Cleans the Fire Appliance.Or Fireperson.
A job title and a job description are two different things.

Chris Houston

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 05:40:33 PM »
Quote from: Mr. P
I know that firefighters respond to more than just fires, but "emergency responder" seems too wide as they only respond to certain types of emergency, primiarily fires.  "Emergency" could mean so much more (war, crime, ambulance work etc)

Offline Kaiser

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 09:16:45 PM »
Please stop bickering over the term fireman and firefighter, the new term as laid down by the government is neither of the above.  The government believe that we no longer put out fires so the term is no longer allowed. The term fireman is sexist and firefighter is aggressive.

From now on we will all be known as  " THERMAL  PEACEKEEPERS "

nuff said !!!!
Malo Mori Quam Foed Ari

Offline Mike Buckley

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 01:01:07 PM »
I'm sorry Kaiser, your name is far too short. If the government has anything to do with it, it must be along the lines of "Fire and Emergency abatement, control and prevention technician/operative"
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline AM

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 03:57:37 PM »
Quote from: Chris Houston
Quote from: Mr. P
I know that firefighters respond to more than just fires, but "emergency responder" seems too wide as they only respond to certain types of emergency, primiarily fires.  "Emergency" could mean so much more (war, crime, ambulance work etc)
Did you see the report in the paper saying that appliances fitted with CCTV cameras are being considered to spot people driving without seatbelts and using mobile phones.

Chris Houston

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 04:37:54 PM »
No, I didn't.  I'm quite skeptical about what is printed in newspapers.  Is it true?  

Either way, I think my point (that the term "emergency responder" is too wide) is still valid.

Chris Houston

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 04:38:35 PM »
Quote from: Hurcules
The Hurcules Cup is takin place at the liverpool Olympia on May 12th. We hope to make this the Norths premier independant bodybuilding comp.

We have incorparated Mr/Miss Firefighter UK into the event. This part of the comp will be open to any member of the fire service to enter. On the evening there will be a collection through the audience and the winner will choose which charity this money goes to.

The winner of the Mr and Miss Fireman Competition will also receive £150 for winning their class.

IF you would like more details on entering or would like a poster for your station please email directly at Hurculescup@gmail.com

The website will be up and running in the next few days.
Can we have a link to the website please?

Offline AM

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2007, 08:18:37 AM »
Quote from: Chris Houston
No, I didn't.  I'm quite skeptical about what is printed in newspapers.  Is it true?  

Either way, I think my point (that the term "emergency responder" is too wide) is still valid.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=430259&in_page_id=1770

Chris Houston

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2007, 09:25:27 AM »
Quote from: Daily Mail
The cameras could be linked to numberplate- recognition systems, which would allow fines to be issued to drivers spotted offending.

The technology could also catch people driving in bus lanes or with inappropriate child seats.
Note that the article suggests things that could happen, instead of saying that they will.  My skepticism remains.

Offline yarrac

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 02:00:44 PM »
I cant believe that people have corrected the initial poster. I am a Fireman. Pure and simple. My job title may say firefighter, but if anybody asks I'm a fireman.

When you speak to kids they always say fireman. Ive done a lot of presentations in schools and there is no point in using the word firefighter, they just don't get it.

Lets live in the real world here people!

Chris Houston

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 09:30:16 PM »
In the real world the term Miss Fireman seems a bit weird to me.

Offline fireftrm

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 01:15:49 PM »
I would love to start calling yarrac Mr Firewoman instead. Firefighter is the job title, the pay grade, the national occupational standard et al. So firefighter it is. Though maybe we should stick to old titles instead of all this PC stuff? So return to being a Vigiles, or fire bobby maybe?
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline Kaiser

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2007, 06:11:59 PM »
Official guidance has now been given as to the new title for employees of the fire and rescue services of the UK.

"It has long been recognised that the title "FIREMAN" was not acceptable in times where both males and females worked in the fire service.  This led to the term "FIREFIGHTER" being the common accepted title for employees of the UK fire and rescue services.  In order for the fire services to fall in line with politically correctness on a national scale, a review was done in order to ensure that the title Firefighter was still relevant and the findings were as listed below.

The term "Firefighter" would suggest that employees regularly extinguish fires, however since the introduction of smoke alarm fitting by firefighters, they no longer extinguish fires according to Mr Blair's government.  Incident statistics do show that there are some events which occur where heat and smoke are present and therefore the term "Thermal" shall replace the term "Fire"

The term "Fighter" sounds aggressive and may seem thuggish to some more delicate members of society. Therefore it was deemed that another expression should be considered, several alternatives were suggested, warriors, centurians, gladiators and soldiers were just a few of a range of alternatives with "Soldier" being the favourite addition to the term Thermal, and hence the expression

"THERMAL SOLDIERS"

This suggestion was then put to Mr Blair for his approval, Tony wasn't very impressed with it, he explained that he has enough problems dealing with other issues with soldiers due to his pack of lies over the Iraq and Afghanistan affair and future issues with Thermal Soldiers and their modernisation plans may become confusing.  After talks of great length, he has decided that the term "Soldiers" should be replaced with the term "Peacekeepers"

From this day forward we shall now officially be known as

"THERMAL PEACEKEEPERS"
Malo Mori Quam Foed Ari

Offline maineroad

Mr/Miss Fireman UK
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2007, 06:06:41 PM »
With the ongoing problems in the service ,does it matter if people want to be ff,fm or fwm im sure the public are more concerned about anyone turning up.Let people call themselves what they want & the thought police can move onto a more pressing subject.