FIRE SERVICE AND GENERAL FIRE SAFETY TOPICS > Community Fire Safety

Interim report from Dame Judith Hackett's enquiry...

(1/3) > >>

Fishy:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/668831/Independent_Review_of_Building_Regulations_and_Fire_Safety_web_accessible.pdf

Fire Monkey:
That's a lot of reading to take in. Mentioned is the lack of regulation surrounding fire risk assessors - I think it is likely now that some sort of registration scheme will be brought in? There will be a whole line of cars traveling up to Stratford Upon Avon.

Fishy:
There's not much to argue with there - which (when you think about it) is pretty damning in itself - much of this is stuff many of us knew, but couldn't really influence without a tragedy like this to put the industry and government in listening mode.

Recommendations regarding verification of design changes and product conformance with the design intent is particularly heartening - we do a lot of railway work & it's something done as a matter of routine on many of the big rail projects - Crossrail (for example) has a 'Materials Compliance Register' process that everything has to go through and checking fire performance is a part of the approval.  Similarly when we do designs for rail infrastructure we sometimes get retained during construction specifically to review and endorse any significant design changes - sometimes to do on-site inspection and assurance of the 'as built' works too.  Rarely happens on our other commercial jobs (though we do get asked to do it on some of our UAE work).  Expensive and time-consuming process, though.

Vocational and professional qualifications are going to become much more important for all of us in the 'fire' world, I should think...

Dinnertime Dave:

--- Quote from: Fire Monkey on December 18, 2017, 04:11:20 PM ---That's a lot of reading to take in. Mentioned is the lack of regulation surrounding fire risk assessors - I think it is likely now that some sort of registration scheme will be brought in? There will be a whole line of cars traveling up to Stratford Upon Avon.

--- End quote ---

Including mine. Saw it coming 3 or 4 months ago. Interview in February. Any tips what to study gratefully received - Only looking to be accredited for internal to my organisation.

Dinnertime Dave:

--- Quote from: Fishy on December 19, 2017, 05:47:22 PM ---There's not much to argue with there - which (when you think about it) is pretty damning in itself - much of this is stuff many of us knew, but couldn't really influence without a tragedy like this to put the industry and government in listening mode

--- End quote ---

Fishy, I think that sums it up. People knew but nobody would listen.

Some of the designs I saw as an inspecting officer were frightening. Some of the poor workmanship and deviation from agreed fire strategies I now see are worrying, the difference now is I am expected to put them right.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version