Author Topic: Private accommodation within the hotel not requiring FA  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Tom Sutton

Private accommodation within the hotel not requiring FA
« on: August 15, 2012, 03:13:57 PM »
If part of a hotel was found to have no detection, and the owner claimed this to be private accommodation within the hotel which doesn't need to be covered.

Could this be considered private residential premises and therefore be exempt from the RR(FS)O. I would think the minimum cover would be a part 6 with a heat detector connected to the hotel system in the entrance area, plus adequate fire compartmentation?
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline nearlythere

Re: Private accommodation within the hotel not requiring FA
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »
If part of a hotel was found to have no detection, and the owner claimed this to be private accommodation within the hotel which doesn't need to be covered.

Could this be considered private residential premises and therefore be exempt from the RR(FS)O. I would think the minimum cover would be a part 6 with a heat detector connected to the hotel system in the entrance area, plus adequate fire compartmentation?

I would suggest that the escape route(s) would still need adequately protected by AFA for the protection of the hotel users. If necessary this may mean AFA in rooms off hotel escape routes even if they are part of the private dwelling.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline jokar

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 08:56:41 AM »
The private accommodation people would be relevant persons and therefore would need consideration of protection from a fire in the commercial area.  How that is achieved would be or could be detection and warning or compartmentation.

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 12:14:14 PM »
I would agree with Jokar, however even if he wriggles out of the FSO the Housing Act may well apply.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Midland Retty

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 01:23:22 PM »
As Jokar has said in order to protect "relevant persons" (which would include the domestic residents as well as hotel guests) you would need to ensure that fire couldn't break through from hotel into the private residence and vice versa.

So there would either need to be appropriate fire separation, or interlinked AFD.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:14:28 PM by Midland Fire »

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 04:16:56 PM »

So there would either need to be appropriate fire separation, or interlinked AFD.

Or both, the way I see it you need to protect the relevant persons from a fire in the hotel, compartmentation and the hotel fire alarm audible to the relevant Persons and,

To protect the hotel residents from the relevant persons, compartmentation and a heat detector in the entrance of the private accommodation linked to the hotel FA.

or is that too OTT.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Midland Retty

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 04:45:07 PM »
Hi Tom

You are correct. Apologies I should have been clearer in my last post.

By appropriate fire separation I meant either you look at providing 60 mins min fire resitance between the hotel / private residence without a fire alarm system, or 30 minutes F/R seperation c/w interlinked AFD.

So as you point out you will need fire separation regardless.