Author Topic: Must not screw into steel fire door.  (Read 4577 times)

Offline Tom Sutton

Must not screw into steel fire door.
« on: August 18, 2012, 04:01:55 PM »
We bought a Dorgard fire door holder and now cannot fix it with the screw kit provided as we are told that we must not screw into steel fire door.

Is this true and is a Dorgard suitable for a steel fire door?
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
Re: Must not screw into steel fire door.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:26:40 PM »
screws in all types of firedoor can affect their performance - a bit.

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 11:21:21 PM »
Generally - As the screws will be right at the bottom of the door they're not likely to be as big a problem as they would be nearer the top.  There should be detection close to the door on both sides, so the warning signal can be expected to be given well before the door is subjected to serious attack by fire and therefore, the screws in the door are unlikely to be significant when considering normal means of escape.  If the doors are important for compartmentation or if there is a defend in place or phased evacuation strategy then we're more interested in the long term effects of the screws and they may be more significant and less desirable.

More specifically - ask the door manufacturer/supplier.

Stu

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 09:29:29 AM »
Problem solved there is an adapter for steel doors. http://www.safelincs.co.uk/dorgard-adapter-plate-for-steel-doors/
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Tom W

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 09:04:47 AM »
Dorgard is suitable for steel fire doors. Im not sure who told you they weren't.

Dorgard is incredibly strong and can hold most weights of door.

Stu has answered it wonderfully. As you see from the safelincs page there are specially made adapter plates available for these types of doors.

Our customer services team would be happy to help field any questions if you want to give them a ring.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 09:27:58 AM »
Dorgard is suitable for steel fire doors. Im not sure who told you they weren't.

Piglet that was never the question it was all about fixing the dorgard to the door. The standard fixing is designed for timber doors, to fix to a meal door using self tapping screws could impair the integrity of the door but now I have found there is an adapter plate which uses adhesive which solves the problem.

Offline Tom W

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 10:49:05 AM »

Piglet that was never the question it was all about fixing the dorgard to the door. The standard fixing is designed for timber doors, to fix to a meal door using self tapping screws could impair the integrity of the door but now I have found there is an adapter plate which uses adhesive which solves the problem.

Sorry Tom, glad you're sorted. I would say a steel plate on a DG would look best on it.