Author Topic: 'Stay Put Policy' Question.  (Read 20384 times)

Offline CivvyFSO

Re: 'Stay Put Policy' Question.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 03:47:09 PM »
With all due respect 60mins FR is irrelevant and why should anybody have to turn their back on a fire when they can be pre-warned at the entrance to the block?

In 1948 when this idea seems to have first appeared just about everything was rationed, including it would seem fire alarm systems or the men to fit them. Therefore they had to priorities, so logically buildings of a timber construction that had been converted into flats take priority over concrete and brick, purpose built flats. It didn't mean that any type of block of flats didn't need a fire alarm system, it just meant that some types of blocks of flats need a system more than others.
In 2001 and 2006 this Country was one of the richest in the world, why would we need to ration fire alarm systems?

No I don't believe that any right minded person would believe that I was taking this too far! 

Somebody has to say it:

You sir, are an idiot.

Midland Retty

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 04:33:31 PM »
It would appear we have broken Colin Todd (aka my bestest mate in the whole wide world).

By the way it's CQC these days not CSky (or CSCI), my Talisker consuming McChum! And Keep off the peanut butter, I think a 5 week residential equality & diversity course at Fire Service College may be in order for you!

Anyway I'm glad that Mr Gentlemansarea-burn has provoked such lively debate, and I'm sure we would all love to educate him further in the subject of fire safety.

All I'll say is: "Come back Benzerari and BLEVE, all is forgiven"....Midlandfire, News at 10, slightly scared.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 08:17:20 PM »
Retty, On a point of accuracy, when the cski report  was produced it was cski.  And you will never make news at 10. Yow will owways be limi-ed, tow nowse in't da midlands.

I think Mr Cockburn, who I have known for many years, is actually a chief fire officer, moonlighting to eek out the hard living they have. I am sure he was present at the CFOA meeting when it was said that the bruvvers need not worry about a certain determination cos it would be fixed for them. That had the same level of accuracy as his views on most things in the world.

Colin Todd, Firenet News, Rushmoor, slightly inebriated.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:20:03 PM by colin todd »
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 10:28:06 AM »
Shut up

Offline Davo

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 01:35:36 PM »
CT

I always knew you were a genius, 1 + 1 +1 +1 =10.......amazing how you do it really ;D

davo

Offline Davo

Graeme

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 06:07:12 PM »
I was going to ask people not to get drunk before coming on here, but I didn't expect any of you to drop acid!

i think you have had your fair share in past by the looks of it.

Offline BLEVE

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 06:01:06 PM »
Mmmm I think a couple of appliances and flames/smoke coming out of my window would give me some indication that there may be a problem but cannot be bothered to calculate time to flashover though

Offline tmprojects

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 11:39:05 PM »
With all due respect 60mins FR is irrelevant and why should anybody have to turn their back on a fire when they can be pre-warned at the entrance to the block?

In 1948 when this idea seems to have first appeared just about everything was rationed, including it would seem fire alarm systems or the men to fit them. Therefore they had to priorities, so logically buildings of a timber construction that had been converted into flats take priority over concrete and brick, purpose built flats. It didn't mean that any type of block of flats didn't need a fire alarm system, it just meant that some types of blocks of flats need a system more than others.
In 2001 and 2006 this Country was one of the richest in the world, why would we need to ration fire alarm systems?

No I don't believe that any right minded person would believe that I was taking this too far! 

Somebody has to say it:

You sir, are an idiot.

I second that! you are.

Offline Clevelandfire 3

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 11:47:54 PM »
I third it.

Offline BLEVE

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 06:54:16 PM »
Would reckon they would close the door and call the fire service. Think you have been watching too many movies. Fire does not just catch hold, it takes time for flashover so not the case at the early stages of a fire.   
Backdraft the sequel or prequel anyone?

Offline BLEVE

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 07:10:12 PM »
Wow are you the same DW COCKburn the electrician who was started out in industry by his father?

Self taught in the field of British and European fire alarm installation standards......in the words of Python ...say no more ......Loved the peer review of your book at diynot.com.... I can see that the 15 year work experience prior to formal education gives you an insight to matters electrical and how being self taught makes you an authority of British and European standards. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:21:13 PM by BLEVE »

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 08:22:14 PM »
Come clean, Mr Cockburn, Admit it, you are a chief fire officer or an LFEPA inspecting officer, I can tell from the inane ramblings.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline tmprojects

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 09:15:14 PM »
Come clean, Mr Cockburn, Admit it, you are a chief fire officer or an LFEPA inspecting officer, I can tell from the inane ramblings.

Steady on Colin!!! Thats not just me your refering to!!!

Remember this is a public forum where knowledgeable persons views, particularly of your reputation, are read and trusted.Thats a broad brush you're waving around there, carefull what picture your painting.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:25:44 PM by tmprojects »

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 09:36:22 PM »
Thank you TMP for your timely reminder.

I have to say you are right though, looking not at Colins posting which is clearly intended as a lighthearted jibe, but at the events of recent weeks as a whole, the forum is in danger of becoming more like a school playground than a source of good advice for the public and for  discussion amongst peers.

Please Gentlemen can we remember this and ensure the good name of firenet is upheld.

I particularly thank Wiz for his patient attempt to get to the bottom of the postings on radial circuits, see his posting in the "Question for Mr Todd" thread. This will be the last time we try and understand if there is any substance behind the query before I lock the threads involved.  
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:41:04 PM by kurnal »