Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 14279 times)

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 04:19:19 PM »
This one had plenty of stars. A roof would be nice though.

Offline Davo

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 09:31:55 AM »
Prof

The moral of the tale is............don't book the top floor ;D

davo

Offline deaconj999

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 06:52:31 PM »
I always take the fire extinguisher out of my car and carry it in my bag, the batteries come out of my camera I use for FI, I then put them in my 2 smoke detectors I always carry with me. I place one SD in the corridor between my hotel room door and the nearest storey exit and I also place one in my room as I do not have any battery HD yet, (i've been looking for some on ebay). I then get out the fire escape signs photoluminescent of course and place them along my shortest and safest route including any alternative, but as you can imagine this takes a bit of time and you never know some of them may be BS and others could be Eurosigns for petes sake. I also at some point during all this write in my notebook, 'speak to the manager' and if he or she is not available the senior member of staff who is available. Once I have done this I may order room service and after eating well I set about completing the task by taping the entire escape route with photoluminescent tape to afford myself an even better chance of escape. Of course it goes without saying that if I come across an external staircase I will set about removing all of the moss off the handrails and I pay particular attention to each and every step, even if they are a bit slippery I may even wipe them dry with some of the towels from the bathroom, I'm not daft I don't use them all in case I need a shower after all that hard work. Once I have checked the lighting levels with my light meter and made sure the door handle on my bedroom door won't come off in my hand due to poor maintenance I sit down and write my escape plan and post it on the inside of my bedroom door. I'll also try to find time to take my note down to the senior member of staff, if the managers not there, and ask to see the maintenance records for the fire alarm and emergency lighting systems (which I know they already haven't got) but I won't go mad and ask for all the other maintenance records as I don't want them to think I'm being nosey.

However, after all that I wonder why bother, as usually once I've done all that it is usually time for breakfast and I realise whilst my wife has had a really good nights sleep, I however did not.

My doctor has referred me to a very good clinical psychologist .........and I just hope they understand......
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 03:02:49 PM by GFSM »

Offline Tom W

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 05:01:34 PM »
Interesting, thanks for your comments.

Offline Clevelandfire 3

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 01:00:12 AM »
I always take the fire extinguisher out of my car and carry it in my bag, the batteries come out of my camera I use for FI, I then put them in my 2 smoke detectors I always carry with me. I place one SD in the corridor between my hotel room door and the nearest storey exit and I also place one in my room as I do not have any battery HD yet, (i've been looking for some on ebay). I then get out the fire escape signs photoluminescent of course and place them along my shortest and safest route including any alternative, but as you can imagine this takes a bit of time and you never know some of them may be BS and others could be Eurosigns for petes sake. I also at some point during all this write in my notebook, 'speak to the manager' and if he or she is not available the senior member of staff who is available. Once I have done this I may order room service and after eating well I set about completing the task by taping the entire escape route with photoluminescent tape to afford myself an even better chance of escape. Of course it goes without saying that if I come across an external staircase I will set about removing all of the moss off the handrails and I pay particular attention to each and every step, even if they are a bit slippery I may even wipe them dry with some of the towels from the bathroom, I'm not daft I don't use them all in case I need a shower after all that hard work. Once I have checked the lighting levels with my light meter and made sure the door handle on my bedroom door won't come off in my hand due to poor maintenance I sit down and write my escape plan and post it on the inside of my bedroom door. I'll also try to find time to take my note down to the senior member of staff, if the managers not there, and ask to see the maintenance records for the fire alarm and emergency lighting systems (which I know they already haven't got) but I won't go mad and ask for all the other maintenance records as I don't want them to think I'm being nosey.

However, after all that I wonder why bother, as usually once I've done all that it is usually time for breakfast and I realise whilst my wife has had a really good nights sleep, I however did not.

My doctor has referred me to a very good clinical psychologist .........and I just hope they understand......
Is that all you do? youre not taking this seriously are you

Offline deaconj999

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 07:44:03 AM »
Hi Cleveland,

I actually ask my hotel booking service if the hotel has an automatic fire alarm, they usually don't know and ring me back, if they don't confirm I won't stay there and often when I travel abroad I do actually take two battery operated SD and CO detector, now that is sad.

I have stayed in a hotel less than 5 years ago in the UK, where there was only a Cat M system and this was barely achieved. By that I mean the EEL in the corridor serving my bedroom was a rewired headlamp from a frogeyed sprite. The alarm bell was again what looked like the inner workings of a very old telephone coil, striker and small brass bell, no cover.

Frightening, but I had nowhere else to stay that night - seemed like I was on one of the hammer house of horror sets. I reported it

Offline Tom W

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 11:01:52 AM »
Its an interesting one

I remember reading a book that explored a theory.

If you had a kid and he wanted to play round one of his friends house but you had to decide which one.

Friend A has a swimming pool

Friend B has a gun cabinet in his house

You would chose Friend A as it seems safer although statistically they are in more danger around the swimming pool then the guns.

Im sure Colin would love to fill you in on the chances of you actually being harmed in a hotel fire. Its very remote.

I think its also down to the principle of them taking a lot of money from people for lodgings and not wanting to spend the money on protecting you

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 05:23:43 PM »
Chance, risk, probability. All different concepts.

It is a fact that very few people die in hotel fires these days. But is that sufficient data on which to base an argument that hotels are safe? Is it not like those Responsible Persons who think they need not invest in fire safety because they have never had a fire?

I have stayed in one recently where due to poor management and maintenance there is no doubt that people would be at serious risk if a fire did occur. I normally stay in others where I am satisfied that if a fire did occur everyone would be able to leave safely and unscathed.

If the swimmingpool was infected by Beri Beri, legionella and typhus then the gun cabinet would be the safe answer.

1- How likely is it that a fire will occur

2- And if it did would anyone be harmed

are the angles from which this should be argued.

Offline Tom W

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 09:52:46 AM »
I was thinking more drowning in the pool rather than diseases that is more likely to occur rather than a shooting.

I completely agree with you about the naivity of some people, i have never had a fire so it is less prioritised