Author Topic: Batteries positions inside panels or baterie's boxes ???  (Read 5911 times)

Offline Benzerari

• http://benzerari.tripod.com/fas/
Batteries positions inside panels or baterie's boxes ???
« on: August 04, 2008, 07:44:01 PM »
Guys;

Found this in several fire alarm systems, even inside panels of large alarm manufacturer companies, like ADT and Gent ( who should normally be more aware of the standards )... the position of the batteries inside panels or battery’s boxes are fitted vertically instead of horizontally.

Would that take effect in the life cycle of the battery?

Is that mentioned in BS5839 or batteries manufacturer’s prescriptions… to keep them horizontally when operational or on charge?

Would the batteries drop out their chemical earlier when fitted vertically?

Any comments would be appreciated

Thank you

Offline Wiz

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 09:14:21 PM »
BS would not normally comment on such things because they assume that manufacturer's instructions for any battery used would be followed and if these instructions said they will work properly in any orientation who are BS to argue with that?

Most modern Sealed Lead Acid batteries can be used in any orientation at any time although some manufacturer's specifications recommend that they should not be used upside down. I assume that this is something to do with the gas pressure release valve these batteries have that is normally located at the top of the battery.

Nicad and Nimh cells can normally be used in any orientation.

Wet lead-acid, Alcad and other similar batteries should only be used in the proper suggested orientation otherwise the electrolyte will leak out :)

Graeme

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:22:35 PM »
as with Wiz

SLA batteries can be used in other positions and with some panels they are designed to take batteries in other ways.

Offline Benzerari

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 11:00:36 PM »
Thank you wiz for this 90% clear answer.

Quote from: Wiz
Most modern Sealed Lead Acid batteries can be used in any orientation at any time although some manufacturer's specifications recommend that they should not be used upside down. I assume that this is something to do with the gas pressure release valve these batteries have that is normally located at the top of the battery.
But why most SLA batteries can be used in any orientations and not all of them. normally SLA is SLA who ever the manufacturer isn't?

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 11:16:01 PM »
With regards to the old GENT/Chloride Bardic conventional panels they are designed that the 1.9 or 2.8 batteries go on their end.However,after a year or so these batteries failed .I then started to turn the batteries at each maintenance visit and this cured the problem.

Offline Thomas Brookes

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 07:12:38 AM »
The modern fire alarm batterys can go any way up, but don't forget to have your date of installation facing out.
I refuse to have a battle of wittts with an unarmed person.

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 09:33:50 AM »
Quote from: Thomas Brookes
The modern fire alarm batterys can go any way up, but don't forget to have your date of installation facing out.
Not so sure about the "modern battery" bit - I'm talking standard YUASA batts that don't look much different to the ones I was using 4 years ago.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 11:02:18 AM »
Quote from: Benzerari

But why most SLA batteries can be used in any orientations and not all of them. normally SLA is SLA who ever the manufacturer isn't?
It would be wrong for me to say that every SLA battery can be used in any orientation. I'm not sure if I've have seen every battery ever manufactured :) or if I have, what if someone manufactures a new one tomorrow that has different recommendations? Wouldn't my 'advice' then be incorrect?

I have noticed that some years ago there were some SLA batteries that recommended orientation in only one way (I'm assuming that this was because they had gas pressure release valves that may not been able to cope with wrong orientation) and these days most manufacturers state that they can be used in all (or most) orientations (new valve design?)

The simple answer is actually that you should always obtain any important information you need to know with the manufacturer of that particular piece of equipment. Different manufacturers may deal with or solve problems in different ways.

This is also why BS also can't always provide definitive recommendations for battery orientation ( and other stuff :))

Offline Wiz

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 11:05:08 AM »
Quote from: Buzzard905
With regards to the old GENT/Chloride Bardic conventional panels they are designed that the 1.9 or 2.8 batteries go on their end.However,after a year or so these batteries failed .I then started to turn the batteries at each maintenance visit and this cured the problem.
Interesting observation and possibly proof that some batteries don't like being left in the 'wrong' orientation for too long.

Offline Benzerari

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 12:23:57 PM »
Quote from: Benzerari

It would be wrong for me to say that every SLA battery can be used in any orientation. I'm not sure if I've have seen every battery ever manufactured :) or if I have, what if someone manufactures a new one tomorrow that has different recommendations? Wouldn't my 'advice' then be incorrect?

I have noticed that some years ago there were some SLA batteries that recommended orientation in only one way (I'm assuming that this was because they had gas pressure release valves that may not been able to cope with wrong orientation) and these days most manufacturers state that they can be used in all (or most) orientations (new valve design?)

The simple answer is actually that you should always obtain any important information you need to know with the manufacturer of that particular piece of equipment. Different manufacturers may deal with or solve problems in different ways.

This is also why BS also can't always provide definitive recommendations for battery orientation ( and other stuff :))
Thanks Wis for completing the other missing 9% of the clear answer, I was looking for, this seems logic, but would like to add that, most of the batteries I have seen their chemicals leaked out ,are the ones installed vertically even installed few months ago, but I am not stating that definitely their positions is the main reason why they leaked out.

Need more genuine ref. of what ever stated :)