Author Topic: The UK Salvage Corps  (Read 48150 times)

Chris Houston

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2004, 08:32:29 PM »
Protecting property will always be secondary to protecting life, but it's a very important function and the one that UK fire brigades were originaly set up for.  The UK looses bilions of pounds of property to fire every year and it's the role of the fire brigade to ensure these losses are mitigated (and the role of owners, occupiers, insurers etc to do the same proactivly.)

jacob

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 05:07:36 AM »
for those interested in the history of salvage corps,simply click onto "google2 and type in glasgow salvage corps. There is a rich history of salvage corps throughout the world particularly in the USA where they still have active fire salvage corps in operation indeed one fire patrolman as they are known as in New York was killed at the twin towers.India also has an active Salvage Corps based in Bombay.If any one has any questions just ask and I shall endeviour to answer them.

jacob

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 05:14:29 AM »
For those interested in the history of salvage corps,simply click onto google and type in Glasgow Salvage Corps. There is a rich history of salvage corps throughout the world particularly in the USA where they still have active fire salvage corps in operation indeed one fire patrolman (as they are known as in New York) was killed at the twin towers. India also has an active Salvage Corps based in Bombay.If any one has any questions just ask and I shall endeviour to answer them.

craigy

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 03:54:04 PM »
sorry to take so long to interject but have just found these entries, Liverpool salvage corps attended many fires comercial and domestic and as sometimes ffirst on scene would fight fires, and have indeed recieved many citations for saving lives, there members were also eligible to join the fbu.

Offline eric Slater

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 12:32:04 PM »
Dear All
I am new to this Site
My Dad was a  member of the Liverpool Salvage Corp
Regards
Eric

Offline Tom Sutton

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2006, 04:25:39 PM »
Merseyside Fire Service Control is located in the old Salvage Corps Station and the warehouse where they conducted their salvage sales is attached to the station.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2006, 09:19:47 AM »
I think if you go back far enough you had two organisations one for fire fighting and one for rescue.

Offline Firewolf

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2006, 04:03:19 PM »
Quote from: eric Slater
Dear All
I am new to this Site
My Dad was a  member of the Liverpool Salvage Corp
Regards
Eric
Hi Eric

Would be intrested to know more about the Salvage Corps - Ie who operated them, how they were paid for, whether they were recognised as an emergency service etc, how they were called out etc

Have you any further information?

Cheers

FW
BE ALERT BE VIGILANT BE SAFE  (c)

Offline Tom Sutton

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2006, 08:17:53 PM »
Check out http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/results.aspx?tab=2&Page=1&ContainAllWords=liverpool+salvage+corps
The the goods they salvaged was sorted in their warehouse and sold, any short fall was subsidised by the Fire Offices Committee.
I am not sure whether they were recognised as an emergency service but they rode appliance very similar to a fire engine and the uniform was identically to the fire service except they had a vertical white band over their helmet.
Local fire controls informed them of fires in their area and they responded as they considered fit.
In 1980 the fire offices committee withdrew their support and they had to be self suficient and they were unable to fund themselves so they disbanded and many joined the fire service. Their Derby Road station and equipment was taken over by Merseyside FB the station became the Merseyside Fire Control.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:48:05 PM by twsutton »
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline stephen999

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2006, 10:20:45 PM »
The Salvage Corp are, I understand, are no more.

There job was to attend major losses, and to clean up after the brigade had left the scene. Typically they would provide salvage sheets co minimise water damage etc, and remove items to the outside of the fire damaged building.

I think they were funded by insurers and came about as a direct result of the damage during the blitz.

Try contacting Chief Excecutives Department at Liverpool City Council for further info or the Chief Fire Officer at Merseyside Fire Service.

Hope this helps

Stephen999

Offline NY FIRE PATROL

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2006, 04:20:39 PM »
The LAST Fire Salvage units are in NYC and in Bombay, India
We are about to go into oblivion as did the UK Salvage Corp.
We are in the fight of our lives trying to save the NY Fire Patrol
For more info and to sign our petition visit.
http://www.fpny123.net

Chas Tedesco
Uniformed Fire Patrolmen's Association
IAFF Local I 26

Offline lucky

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2006, 08:17:05 PM »
The Liverpool Salvage Corps were based in Derby Road in Bootle,there were 2 Salvage Tenders,they would Salvage any property and would sheet up and clear water freeing up the Fire Brigade to go back to there Stations and be ready to respond to a Shout,some members became Fire Fighters others went to work for Insurance companies as loss adjusters.

Offline Martin Burford

• http://none
The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2006, 08:52:19 PM »
When I served in Glos FRS. I spent two spells in the London Salvage Corps. who I think were based in Aldgate, and from my experiences there we fitted out and put on the run our own SALVAGE TENDER based at Cheltenham. such a thing now would be resisted i;m sure by all those H & S freaks. I found both the crews and the work they performed facinating, and was lucky to be there on 5th November, which was fantastically busy!....An experience I will never forget.
Conqueror

Offline firesfa

The UK Salvage Corps
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2007, 01:13:17 PM »
Hi
I needs some photos of salvage in action ( so to speak )  If anyone can help I would be grateful. Many thanks firesfa