Author Topic: Escape route guidance system  (Read 4112 times)

Offline Vivos

Escape route guidance system
« on: December 22, 2007, 02:07:11 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am part of a team of engineering students at Queen’s University, Belfast and have been developing an Intelligent Escape Route System, which we would really value your opinion on.

The system would use moving LEDs/lights to actively show the nearest (useable) escape route, taking into account where fire has been detected. It would then update, calculating the safest and quickest way out of the building. We are intending it for use mainly in commercial properties and hotels, but it could easily be implemented in other suitable sites such as stadiums and shopping centres, for example. It would, of course, be in addition with standard safety and escape signs/notices.

We were hoping for the advice from experts and people invlved in the industry, so you may see more of us as we come across things in our development. At the moment we were hoping you'd take some time to complete our survey. It's only 10 questions long, but would be a big help,

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=JvRZr_2fIDiVYT7yQvRiyTjw_3d_3d

Offline Vivos

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 06:33:02 PM »
Hi, and thanks to all who completed our survey. We'll be collecting the results on Friday evening, so if you haven't done it and have a few minutes, please click on the link above.

For those of you who chose to find out more, I'll be sending out emails next week. Thanks again!

Offline slubberdegullion

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 01:12:45 AM »
Hi Vivos
I did your survey.  I think there is potential in your innovation. Of course, fire safety officers' first options are always the simpler ones but there are times when active systems can be invaluable.  

I expect you have done this but I would look very closely at case studies of past fires and examine where your system would have made a difference.  How big a difference would your system have made?  Which part of the functionality of the system would have made the difference?  Refine your system to cost effectively meet the real needs that the real world throws up.

Then you might have a profitable engineering development as well as a very clever one.

Stu

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 10:48:32 AM »
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline Vivos

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 03:29:26 PM »
Thanks for taking the survey and the advice. We're currently writing up a business plan and looking at all the options. We've also taken a look at past research and are trying to draw the most accurate conclusions.

Also thanks for the link, we hadn't found that one, but will take a closer look.