Author Topic: raf mk10  (Read 9471 times)

Offline stevfire2

raf mk10
« on: October 22, 2005, 10:58:32 PM »
Seems to me that many low cat airfields are "upgrading" to refurbed ex-raf mk10's. However when I talked to current or ex raf firefighters there is much sucking of teeth and the general opinion that they wouldn't touch one with the proverbial bargepole and were glad to see the back of them in service.  One of the main gripes being major problems with the pneumatic systems.  Does anyone out there have experience or further opinion on the mk10.

Due to the lack of any other type of medium capacity, non-premix foam tenders on the market we are being led down the path of "upgrading" to a mk10 but I am now starting to have personal doubts as to the vehicles suitability.  Vehicle in question would be a refurbished model but what would it's suitability and reliability be in the long term?  As training officer at my site I would prefer to devote my time to teaching the vehicles operational capability than having to make excuses for it and how to override systems should it fail.  

I know nothing is perfect particularly on the second-hand market but warnings of any pitfalls, or indeed praise, for the mk10's would be very much appreciated.

Offline Cut Fire Service Pay

raf mk10
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 03:35:48 PM »
I have briefly used a Mk 10 & Mk 9. The mk 9 was all mechanical levers as far as I can remember, it seemed very popular. The mk 10 did have issues with the pneumatics, for example on a run in for a training ex, the foam would fail to operated because of some dire pneumatic issue! The current RAF MFV is no better (fancy buying vehicles from a firm about to go bankrupt). The little RIV is not bad. I think what I am trying to say is that I wouldn't like to use any ex forces airport truck! I know the serving trucks seem to spend alot of time visiting the spanner shop! I hope this helps?

Offline stevfire2

raf mk10
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 06:27:20 PM »
thanks,
that goes someway towards what ive heard. got to admit though, that our ex-raf tacr2 has given us good service despite a hammering by the raf guys.
 after a demo at shoreham last week, my safo is now leaning towards a firetech cat3 landrover 6x6, just got to convince the powers that be.
would still welcombe any further comments though guys.

Offline Cut Fire Service Pay

raf mk10
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 05:16:23 PM »
I agree with the TACAR 2, a superb appliance, looks the part and does the job if you can keep them on 2 wheels!

Offline stevfire2

raf mk10
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 06:50:19 PM »
you mean the slight body roll?
i just love scaring the s*** out of pilots either on the ramp as we turnout, or at the hold as we take a 90 onto the runway! all good fun.

Offline TallyHo

raf mk10
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 10:27:10 PM »
Just thinking off the top of my head now but if you just want a bog standard non-premix foam tender then I suppose the Mk 10 would be OK, but they are getting on a bit.  Don't forget that RAF Tenders are made for a dual role, crash and domestic or structural as you may call it.

If you are looking for something a bit more up market then try to get hold of an Mk 10B or C, as this includes a multi stage pump and HP hose reel.  They were produced for the Navy so they didn't see as much action as the RAF ones so they should be in better nick.

Thinking back, the main problem was the fact that they used to suffer from air locks and the drivers and operators had to be spot on.  If I recall, the main problem was corrosion, make sure that you wash away any foam compound when you top em up.

Word of warning; take it easy when you go round bends, they have a tendency to roll as all the weight is in the back.

As for the TACR II, you would do well to get it onto 2 wheels as it is a 6 wheel RIV, it is fine for driving round the airport looking cool and it is also not bad on hard standings.  But you need to know what you are doing if you have to go off road, the rear axle is a floating axle and tends to drag along in soft ground.

I don't know where you are but if you do get one give me a shout and if I'm in your area I'll come over and show you the ropes on it.

Offline stevfire2

raf mk10
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 06:49:17 PM »
thanks DaveyH,
mk10 is now looking more unlikely after reports on firetech cat3 6x6 landrover. its 1200 lts capacity, alongside our 1000 lt dodge power wagon, would put us comfortably over cat2 requirements, and give us the much needed ability to do hot training using just water. this is what we want, the ability to keep all full and part time crew trained when we are able to do it, not just at the 3 month intervals.
3 month intervals are fine in theory (truck due, people due) until an incident when the truck is refilled for the next 3 months, but some people have missed out, and are still due a hot one in a weeks time.management dislikes the extra expense.
have got to say, our tacr has the caa required 6 wheel drive and is very capable on the rough, more so than the powerwagon. i understand the raf got away with 6x4                  
cheers