Author Topic: transfering to airport fire service?  (Read 37291 times)

transfering to airport fire service?
« on: January 08, 2004, 02:08:05 PM »
any info out there on how to transfer to a airport ff from a local authority ff ,would it help to pay my own way at the CAA tng school?

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 11:37:06 AM »
Hi, I am in the Airport Fire Service and a Retained FF for my local Brigade, the two types of fire fighting are very different. Your bread and butter stuff is still the same, ladder work, cutting equipment and so on, but as for fire fighting it is technically different. I do not know about transferring from whole time into the Airport fire service, I would imagine you would have to go through your basic training. Why not contact the airport you are looking at going into, speak to the station officer and see what he/she says, you can only ask. :rolleyes:

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 03:25:48 PM »
We've just had one of our blokes go in the opposite direction.Hes gone from airport firefighting to wholetime local authority.He had to do all the conversion work on his station for 4 weeks,but as hed already done a basic course,which at 14 weeks covered all the local authority criteria,(ba,rta etc)

Im assuming that if you apply direct to the airport your thinking of joining,they'll be able to give you all the info you require.

Ian

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 12:14:50 PM »
You can unfortunately pay for your own course at CAA training school or at teeside you have to meet certain criteria - Bizzarley one point ot bear in mind is that to do your ccompetence first level training you should have been an airport firefighter for i thik it is 6 months

Its ludicrous

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 12:15:22 PM »
That should be YOU CAN'T PAY for your own course etc etc Sorry folks!

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 06:11:11 PM »
I have transferred both ways i went from LA to Airport for four years, had to do all the training for the airport even though i had done the 16 week recruits course, and had the Lff ticket. Then i decided to go back but to a different brigade and had to do the 16 weeks again even though i had my grads,BAI, and some other stuff. That was 10 years ago now I am sure the situation would be the same, you would have to do the training for the airport, which i am sure you ll enjoy and i wouldnt think youll find to difficult as most of the stuff is the same. I would encourage you if that is what you want to do but remember it is different in many ways and can be quite quiet,but still a very good jobs. I hope this helps all the best

captfizz

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 08:55:03 PM »
where abouts are you because we're looking to recruit firefighters at our airport (cat 06 station) in the surrey/hampshire area

if interested give me an e-mail and i'll pass on your details to my fire service manager

Offline chipmonk1984

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 12:27:18 AM »
i was just wondering, did anybody in here do there training at teeside, and what does it consist of as i have to carry out my training there. does it benifit you any for the original fire service? thanks

John H

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 11:26:41 PM »
Quote from: chipmonk1984
i was just wondering, did anybody in here do there training at teeside, and what does it consist of as i have to carry out my training there. does it benifit you any for the original fire service? thanks

You can download all of the course programmes plus all the relevant training notes as there are some slight differences between Local Authority and Aviation drills
web site is www.iftc.co.uk

Good Luck

Offline chipmonk1984

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 01:29:06 PM »
thanks john

Offline RLFACTOR

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 02:47:36 PM »
We've just had one of our blokes go in the opposite direction.Hes gone from airport firefighting to wholetime local authority.He had to do all the conversion work on his station for 4 weeks,but as hed already done a basic course,which at 14 weeks covered all the local authority criteria,(ba,rta etc)

Im assuming that if you apply direct to the airport your thinking of joining,they'll be able to give you all the info you require.

Ian

----
Hiya can the person who posted this please contact me as i am interested in doing what your friend has done.
I would like to go from the Defence Fire Service to Local Authority and I would like to know how to go about it.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but any help would be very helpful.

Thank you.

RL

Offline dwl2412

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 08:25:55 PM »
RLFACTOR

Don't know if they'll let you transfer so easily ? But when IPDS starts FSCTE say that moves will be "possible" - but i'll only believe it when it happens !

Offline lfbullitt

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 10:56:25 PM »
Why on earth would you want to transfer from local authority to an airport??

I am in my 10th year at one of the major south east airports and havent seen or done ANYTHING!!! A handfull of RTC`s which hardly involved even sweeping up, one car fire, false AFA`s and............hundreds of micky mouse first aid calls!! Nothing that really counts as fire fighting!

If you want to be a fire fighter then stay local authority wholetime, if you want to spend you`re working life wishing you were (or playing at being) a fire fighter then go for an airport!!

Local authority brigades do not recognise airport fire fighters so if you want to go local authority whole time and are a serving airport FF then you will have to go through the whole application the same as everyone else.

Some of the airport FF`s are local authority retained FF`s as well but i dont think it counts for much when applying to get in.

Like I said, if you want to be a fire fighter in the true sense of the word then go the local authority route, if you want to spend your working life playing at it then go for an airport.

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 09:15:49 AM »
Quote from: lfbullitt
Why on earth would you want to transfer from local authority to an airport??
Emm, money? Fighting fires and playing Londons burning doesn't pay the bills. ;)
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline Fireguy1230

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 11:59:18 AM »
lfbullit

Just like every other firefighter the length and breadth of the Uk, you never know what each new day will bring.

There are many firefighters who have gone into work at an airport intending to 'play' firefighters, then found themselves giving a statement to the AAIB a couple of hours later. And there are many local authority ff's who go into work each shift and never turn a wheel.

Who is displaying the most professionalism? The FF who goes into work each shift, knowing there is a great chance they will never put their skills into practise, but still putting their heart into the training and work. Or the FF who knows confidently that they will be challenged and worked on many an occassion?

And isn't firefighting all about prevention nowadays? ;)