Author Topic: Help  (Read 3441 times)

Offline johnjones

Help
« on: October 26, 2005, 08:36:44 PM »
I have been in the service for 26 years and suffered an injury at work which has meant I am no longer operational. I have a court case pending for this accident but that isn't my problem.

I was asked to join the CFS team but after 2 weeks of sitting around with nothing to do I asked the deputy commander if there was anything else. He said no and has now sent me back to my station. I have nothing to do and feel like a spare part.

Yesterday, the commander came to see me and said if I didnt take any job offered then he could see me being dismissed on the grounds of incompetence. I am going to seek legal advice because I dont think this can happen. I know people who have been in similar positons a couple of years ago and they were pensioned off. I only have 12 months left but they seem hell bent on making me stay doing menial jobs!

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

messy

Help
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 10:13:47 PM »
Welcome to the 21st century modernised Fire Service

The days of pensioning off personnel if they are operationally unfit but fit for light duties has gone. Some will have several years to suffer 'menial tasks' whilst awaiting their pension. You have merely 12 months.

Unless you want to blow a geat deal of your commutation fighting this in the courts (which will probably take > 1 year anyway), I'd leave well alone, keep my head down, and try to gain a positive attitude. You never know, you might even start enjoying some of those menial tasks

Good luck

Offline dave bev

Help
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 11:52:44 PM »
of couse i would have a different view - i suggest you talk to your union reps (whichever union that may be and assuming you are in one) - the facts are that unless you get your rep involved at a very early stage the more difficult it is.

dave bev