Author Topic: FDR1s - how accurate  (Read 4185 times)

Chris Houston

FDR1s - how accurate
« on: April 25, 2005, 01:22:55 PM »
Gents,

I work in insurance and we are discussing the accuracy of FDR1 forms.  It has been suggested that because they are filled in on the day of the fire, it is possible that the true cause of a fire might not be known.

It had been suggested that "electrical fault" is commonly input when it ought not to be.

What's everyones views?

Our own analysis of our large fires losses indicate that about 70 to 90% are arson, but then we have the benefit of investigating them over a period of time after the event and we mostly insure schools which will be more prone to arson.

messy

FDR1s - how accurate
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 05:06:12 PM »
In my experience, the quality of the FDR1 info is dependant on:

1) Obviously the experience and competence of the person completing it

2) The size and importance of the fire  i.e. a FDR1 relating to a property fire is much more likely to be accurate than a shed or car fire. Talking of which, I was horrified to read when engineers were planning the Channel Tunnel, one source of data they used to establish probabilities of a vehicle fire in the tunnel and compile procedures was FDR1s originating from car fires. Perhaps not the most reliable souce!! I still occasionally see petrol onto hot manifold as a cause of car fires!!

3) How busy the station has been, say, overnight. If a JO has 4/5 FDR1s to complete (as opposed to 1) they'll be a bit rushed.

If a fire falls within the 3 categories above, it's fair to say a good deal of 'creative investigating' may have been used.

Frankly, School, Hospital and similar 'public interest' buildings are more likely to be investigated and reported efficiently than your average fire in squat bedsit. In London, for instance, it's highly unlikely that a fire in any of those buildings will go unattended by our FI team

I have (rather sadly) enjoyed completing FDR1s and rarely have had any problems. However a fire resulting in 58 'sufferers' which required an urgent FDR1 (as it was debated in the House of Commons 48 hours afterwards) did cause me a few difficulties.

Offline dave bev

FDR1s - how accurate
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 06:30:32 PM »
fdr 1's consultation is out there!