Author Topic: Escape via an adjacent room  (Read 1857 times)

Offline lyledunn

Escape via an adjacent room
« on: April 16, 2023, 10:16:15 AM »
As an alternative MOE from social club premises, occupants exit via a set of doors which are fitted with push bars into a large second room which is ancillary to the club. An exit to the outside is quickly available in the adjacent room.
If a fire was detected at a late stage in the adjacent room, which is rarely used and accessed from a remote external location, escapees might be moving toward the fire.
I know it?s a simple question and perhaps vision panels might assist, but I see the arrangement in many club venues which never seem to be questioned.
Just something uncomfortable about it!?

Offline Messy

Re: Escape via an adjacent room
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 03:42:28 PM »
Assuming there are two escape routes, is there a risk of a fire compromising this alternative route and the primary MoE simultaneously and without being detected?

Would it be unsafe (by the numbers using that alternative route) for them to turn around if the exit wasnt available?

I had a huge debate about this in the past when an Inspecting Officer. A landmark basement restaurant in a basement in London had a very large primary exit - via the front entrance - and an alternative along a corridor to the rear. After a renovation, a wall in the corridor which separated it from the main kitchen was removed to create a small 1.5m metre high wall between the escape corridor and the kitchen and completely open above.

My view was there was no problem. the route via the kitchen corridor was unchanged, but was no longer a protected route. The travel distances didnt require it and in any case, it was not possible (other than arson) to have a kitchen fire and a fire on the restaurant floor simultaneously. Many of my peers disagreed - especially the more senior ones who had cut their teeth on fire certification

Luckily I won that battle as my boss was switched on