Author Topic: Vertical exits for bed and wheel chair patients  (Read 5627 times)

Vertical exits for bed and wheel chair patients
« on: February 20, 2004, 07:44:26 AM »
Have anyone come across or have knowledge of:

Vertical exits for bed and wheel chair patients, which use the concept of the multi-story car park circular driveways, normally located at both ends of the building that will lead them to the lower floors or to the ground. This means of egress enable helpers to push the bed and wheel chair patients through the horizontal exits at each level to the vertical exits.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with first hand experience of such means of emergency ergress, particularly hospital of multi-floor buildings, say 7 storeys? Or any useful views?

Offline PhilHallmark

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 01:08:07 PM »
Can you elaborate a bit for me? Do you mean a dedicated fixed lift system or an emergency personel wheelchair which are used to evacuate disabled people down stairs?

Phil

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 01:32:25 PM »
I saw a similar concept in a residential home for people with special needs many years ago (1960S clasp design). Another home occupied by Scope nearby had a further variation- aircraft style chutes.

The ramps were by necessity very steep and it was a nightmare holding a wheelchair back. It closed as a home about 15 years ago. Nowadays there would be a recommended maximum gradient of 1 in 12 so can you imagine how long the ramps would need to be- say 48metres for a 4m storey height.