Author Topic: Emergency Evacuation of Immobile Hospital Patients  (Read 7196 times)

Offline kevhowitt

Emergency Evacuation of Immobile Hospital Patients
« on: January 08, 2007, 09:00:19 PM »
I have only just found this site and have been reading the posts with great interest.

I was asked several years ago to look at ways to ensure the safe removal of immobile patients at a major hospital in the event of an emergency situation.

We have now produced a prototype of a unit that is designed to work on a static flat bed or the new profilie beds widely used within the NHS.

We are discussing the final specification with the Trust at the moment.

Would any of you guys have any input on use or design, to what is a world first about to go on the market?
We are in the private sector, have the UK Patent granted and the Patent filed in the US.

We are looking for ways to move this exciting project forward to see its implementation to resolve a  serious problem, of how to safely remove unstable, ie, spinal, orthopaedic, trauma patients, in a fire or emergency situation?

This equipment can be used safely for either lateral or vertical evacuation.

Look forward to your reply's.
Kevin Howitt
Rescu-bed Ltd

Offline Robert Bacon

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 11:33:28 AM »
Hi Kevin.
Put your info on the National Assosiation Of Healthcare Fire Officers web site you may get a better response
www.nahfo.com
Robert  Bacon
Dorset PCT fire safety officer

Offline PhilHallmark

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 02:18:34 PM »
Hi Kevin,

My son has just been released from hospital following operations on a broken neck (three places) obtained as a passenger in a RTA.
A "traumatic" injury which left him on his back in traction for two weeks.

During this time I was bedside with him 24/7. The reason for this information is to explain that I have personal understanding of the difficulties involved having witnessed him being moved for x rays etc.

Traumatic injuries and recovery patients are advised that they are held within a fire secure unit - double intumescent seals on doors etc I was led to believe that this type of patient is to be held in situ rather than be moved. As you know the difficulties in transporting this type of patient are tremendous.
My son for example had to be held on his back without moving his head.

I spent time enquiring about the fire protection - sad but true! -  whilst there, and offer my congratulations if you have pulled it off.

Good luck with your solution and well done.

Phil

Offline kevhowitt

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 08:14:54 PM »
Hi Phil,
Sorry to hear that your son has such difficult injuries, a split second can change ones life in very dramatic ways!

Good news that he is released, I wish him a speedy recovery.

With reference to your comment about a secure fire unit, as far as I am aware, many patients who are immobile, are treated on normal Wards, certainly at the Hospital where I work, even those with stable and unstable spinal injuries.

During a risk assesment carried out several years ago, spinal patients were specifically mentioned as ones who may need to be evacuated from the building, there was no safe way to do so.
I was asked to design suitable equipment as there was none on the market to buy.
As far as I am aware, our evacuation equipment is still the only one specifically designed to safely and securely move immobile patients in an emergancy situation.

It is not the ideal situation to move anyone seriously ill, unless it is absolutely nessecary, it's reasurring to know, that at least ones can have the option to be evacuated if it is needed.

Many thanks for your reply Phil,
Best Regards,

Kev

Offline PhilHallmark

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 04:53:38 PM »
Thanks for your concern Kev.

My main concerns were for patients such as my son, who were in traction and any movement would have potentially caused immense damage. So I hope you have solved the problem. I am sure it will be a huge success.

My son has just had the go ahead to remove the neck brace as xrays show all the plated discs are not reacting with the next ones. So recovery has begun!
Time will tell just how much restricion he has with movement, but it could be a lot worse.

Best of luck with your design. Good to see something has been done to try to solve this problem Kev.

I hope you are successful in your distribution and marketing of your system.

All the best

Phil