Author Topic: NHS Means of Escape Signs  (Read 16336 times)

Offline PhilHallmark

NHS Means of Escape Signs
« on: February 01, 2007, 12:46:53 PM »
I'm new to this forum, so greetings to all.

Can anyone confirm whether the NHS (HTM65) MoE signs were/are a NHS Estates requirement or best practice or advice/ recommendation?
I have seen this Standard off NHS sites and BS5499 on site (and the dreaded "Euro Type") and vice versa as well as a mix of all three.
Regardless of peoples opinion of the different types, could someone confirm the requirements?

I believe the HTM's are being revised, but it is frustrating to visit a NHS site and find the better option sign replaced by another.

Thanks

Phil

Offline Peter Wilkinson

• http://www.thefpa.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 02:39:50 PM »
As with all HTMs, I assume they represented best practice guidance.  'HTM65- Signs guide 2: Fire safety signs' has not been available for some time now, which was a shame as I too like the depiction of flames licking the backside of the running man.  

But it doesn't really make sense for hospitals to be required to have signs which are different to those required in any other building.  

The BS and Euro style sign are the only types mentionned in the Healthcare RRO guide, so I think we can assume that the HTM65 days are over!
(all the stuff I said above is purely my own personal view and in no way represents any official view of my employer)

Offline Colin Newman

• Healthfire
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 06:40:08 PM »
For those dismayed at the demise of the HTM 65 Guide 2 fire signs, I can assure you their passing was very quiet and peaceful!  

The reality was that a couple of years ago when HTM 65 was replaced with revised guidance on wayfinding and signage for hospitals, Guide 2 was accidently forgotten!! However, since no one made too much fuss at the time, it was concidered best to let nature take it's course rather than attempt resuscitation!!

Offline Richard Earl

• http://www.tecservuk.com
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 07:09:38 PM »
hi phil

i am still fitting htm65 signs in hospitls as the nhs did lots of tests and came up with this

i might be wrong but untill im told not to fit i will still do it as they cost no more money to buy

Offline PhilHallmark

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 02:00:43 PM »
Thanks guys,

If I read your replies correctly, service providers are to no longer advise the HTM65 type as this has now been revised and best practice is BS.

If the Estates Dept wish to carry on with the flames type, I will still continue as manufacturers are still producing them without any revision advice. Customer is never wrong you know!

Many Thanks.

Phil

Offline SJM

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 02:50:16 PM »
HTM 65 was superseded by the 2nd edition of the NHS Wayfinding guide (published 2005 ISBN 0-11-322698-5).

The guidance refers to the use of BS 5499: Part 1 and the HSE Safety Signes & Signals Guide.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Offline PhilHallmark

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 04:27:27 PM »
Thanks Steve

Offline Jim Creak

• http://www.means-of-escape.com
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 08:55:31 AM »
Fire Safety signs inaccordance with HTM 65 conform in every respect to BS5499 Part 1 and Internationally under ISO 7010 and when used in accordance with BS 5499 Part 4 can be determined as best practice for escape route identification, location and direction of egress.

Fire Safety Signs are an extremely important part of the communication strategy and Fire Safety management system. The main requirement of a good communication strategy is that it is understood by the selected audience otherwise confusion, misunderstanding and errors will occur.

This was clearly understood by NHS Estates and they tested their audience to ensure comprehension and decided as a function of their risk analysis to use the flame determinant to improve understanding and therefore effectiveness.

You can not escape these facts, signs to so called Euro Running man block of ice cream, Euro Directive, Euro Standard do not have any credentials whatsoever...they have all been tested and failed, failed miserably to be understood.

Under The Management of Health and Safety Regulations signs are required to instruct, inform, educate, locate and identify and as an offence under The Health and Safety(Safety Signs) and Signals Regulations it is an offence to use signs of poor design as they cannot be understood and therefore cannot satisfy the requirement of the regulations.

If you value you your judgement and you value you your own risk assessment which states no lesser standard is acceptable you will specify signs inaccordance with HTM 65. Why not it doesn't cost any more to use signs people understand rather than chose signs you know they don't.

Offline PhilHallmark

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 12:55:53 PM »
Many thanks Jim. I only advice this design in NHS sites (Your info is still the benchmark).

Offline Roy Grogan

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 08:45:36 AM »
Hi Phil,
There seems to be much confusion regarding fire and emergency signage in the NHS.  What is required is that you standardise your signage so there is no confusion.  The recommendation to use NHS Firecode signage came after much research to a particular need - our patients.  Because of our business we have many patients who need every bit of help they can get on the premises: poor sight or not having glasses with them; not able to speak or understand English as a first language;  not familiar with fire evacuation proceures or routes used.

To help them this Trust has standardised on JALITE photoluminscent signage (there is no requirement for illuminated signage) fitted by our contractors for fire safety equipment CHUBB Fire Ltd.

EXIT signage leads to doors in normal usage but may be locked at certain times of the day - nights, weekends.
FIRE EXIT signage leads to doors that are secure with emergency release devices and open to fresh air.

Other signage is kept to a minimum -
fire door indicators (automatic, keep locked shut, keep closed etc)
fire point indicators - we settled on the firefighter's hat so that a range of equipment can be kept at this location rather than just extinguishers
fire alarm call points, dry risers, and warning of gas system discharge are all standard.

We are now installing warning signs in disabled toilets and bathrooms near to the fire alarm beacons to warn "Fire alarm activated when beacon flashes".  JALITE provide free guides and disks that are of use just ask.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 03:55:27 PM »
Quote from: Roy Grogan
There seems to be much confusion regarding fire and emergency signage in the NHS.  What is required is that you standardise your signage so there is no confusion.  

EXIT signage leads to doors in normal usage but may be locked at certain times of the day - nights, weekends.
FIRE EXIT signage leads to doors that are secure with emergency release devices and open to fresh air.
Personally Roy I would find that very confusing. As a patient I woud not expect a door marked EXIT to be locked. Do you explain this to patients or manage the risk in any other way?

Offline Psuedonym

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 09:17:23 PM »
Good point, I have never understood the point of "Exit" only signs as a means of escape indicator as the way to an exit is surely to a fire exit whether a specified fire exit or not. A final exit could be a "Fire Exit" only i.e. no directional arrow on sign or an "Exit".
I would'nt have thought mixing both types would be at all helpful to confused patients/ visitors and knackered staff!
;)
Ansul R102 Kitchen Suppression Enthusiast

Created using refurbished electrons to ensure I do my bit to save the planet...Polar bear cubs saved so far:2.75. Reduced due to effects of Carbon Footprint on the carpet. It's a bugger to shift...

Offline AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 11:41:38 PM »
I would also expect an exit signed as such with a green & white sign and running man to not be locked - instead I see it's use in complex buildings to help people find the 'normal' exit instead of fire exits resulting in them being lost or going through the fire exit and leaving it insecure/setting off alarms/breaking ceramtubes etc.

In other words as much for general building management & visitor guidance as fire safety
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline Roy Grogan

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 02:18:52 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

As Phil can see the issue of fire and emergency signage is not clear cut.  It is worth looking around any building to which the public has access to see the plethora of signage even though it is standardised.

Hospitals by their nature have the public inside them "out of hours" when security is heightened and some doors are locked - main entrance doors are a classic case.  Fire evacuation routes to fire exits are provided close by and will be signposted fire exit, and graphics indicating the direction.  Staff (trained staff who have had an annual fire safety briefing) will usually be on hand to offer assistance with directions.

The alternatives are: have signs that are on exit routes only during "opening" hours and off out of hours, rather impractical.  A more common sense approach is to follow the guidance given in BS 5499-4:2000 part 4: Code of practice for escape route signing, and BS 5499-5:2000 Graphic symbols and signs including fire safety signs Part 5: Signs with specific safety meanings.

A side issue is - staged horizontal evacuation this often takes people in a different direction to fire exits because NHS Firecode requires we take staff and patients to assembly points (refuges) in some cases through the building into other buildings withouty recourse to fire exits.

Best test - get volunteers who dont know the building to test the routes.
Warm regards
Roy