Author Topic: Manchester Airport  (Read 8592 times)

Offline Yeebsy

Manchester Airport
« on: November 01, 2006, 09:42:59 AM »
Does anyone know if Manchester Airport has gone to CAT10 yet?
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline CAT9

Manchester Airport
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 01:14:38 PM »
Not yet, plans are in place and training has been ajusted. The new fire rig is impressive!

Offline Yeebsy

Manchester Airport
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 03:45:36 PM »
Many thanks.
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline CAT9

Manchester Airport
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 11:00:07 AM »
So i take it your from another airport?... If so which one?

Offline Yeebsy

Manchester Airport
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 08:40:50 PM »
Heathrow. I saw your rig in a magazine at work, I hope to god it's better than ours.

Offline CAT9

Manchester Airport
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 11:55:09 AM »
The new rig has its good and bad points. It makes a good BA drill. And the external fires are not too bad..... BUT  the health and safety side restricts us!  I.E flash over inside onlys last a few secs then the extractions kick in. Theres a few more annoying things to it but i wont waffle on.
The problem with me and the rest of the older firefighters, we were used to extream temps. and more intense training with the older rigs we used to have.

So hows heathrow then? I bet its expensive living down there mate!

Offline Yeebsy

Manchester Airport
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 07:39:14 PM »
I enjoy it Heathrow BUT, I was Air Force Fire before I joined and was used to working/training in extreme temps, now sadly health and safety has stopped all that, my big concern is the young lads who have no idea what the conditions will be if we ever get a 747 plow in, they all seem to expect to turn up squirt a bit of foam and within 3 mins the fire being extinguished. Half of our guys haven't even seen a decent hydrocarbon fire and when/if they ever do they will **** their pants. I also fear some of our guys my be injured if we ever have an internal fire as they have no idea what the signs and symptoms of heat stress are like, because of health and safety wanting us to 'stay safe' I fear it may end up killing someone.

And yes it is very expensive around here. :(

Offline captfizz

Manchester Airport
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
hi guys
another airport firefighter here.
i know what you mean about non realistic fire training, some of our guys recently went to eastleigh to take part in hants fire & rescue FBT and boy! that was what we needed to remind ourselves that fires can get really hot. (too much ineffective training with gas fire rigs instead of decent hydrocarbon fuels as you earlier said.)
i too fear for the lads i work with as we have had a large staff turnover lately with a lot of experience moving out to be replaced by new recruits and maybe some inapropriate people being humped up the supervisory ladder sooner than maybe they should - a bit worrying for an airport with inexperience running throughout the fire service structure top to bottom.
still we're told we're only firefighters 1% of the time and ops personnel the other 99%

Offline Yeebsy

Manchester Airport
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 11:12:08 PM »
We are pushing for our own FBT rig as none of our guys have ever done it with the exception of the guys in the bunnies. (Ex Bunnies in case any management read this ;)