Author Topic: Question for CAT9 & Yeebsy  (Read 4285 times)

Offline helicopter

Question for CAT9 & Yeebsy
« on: April 10, 2008, 05:22:30 PM »
Hello Chaps. I have been reviewing this board and just joined. My impression is that you are one of the more experienced members and would like your advice.
I have had my application accepted for Aiport Firefighter at a major airport. I am about to go for the first round of written tests.
I have done quite a lot of research through web sites like this.
My Question is : I am 49 ... am fit and feel I could easily get though the fitness test. However, at my age do you think it is worth pursuing the job application process?  I am very keen to be an AF and would give it my all...
I would appreciate your candid view. I have found both your responses to other members of the board very helpfull.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 12:19:33 AM »
Hi mate,
Sorry it took so long I've been having internet issues.
I cant tell you anything about the tests as I know they have changed several times recently. As for other airports I once again cant tell you but here at Heathrow we are an equal opportunities company and your age will not discriminate you (we have had guys in there 40s before, all with NO ff experience). If this international airport you are looking at is "like" ;) Heathrow start getting to grips with everything 'PC' (not personal computer) and look into how businesses are run. I'm at work now so I will ask a few of the young'uns about recruitment. We were also told at our watch meeting tonight that due to us now being Cat 10 with the ALP we are getting 2 new shiney recruits on each watch come July (4 watches) so the recruitment process will start up again soon if they have not already done so.

As I say I will try to get more info for you and I wish you all the luck in finding you ideal job.

Yeebsy
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline DaveM

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 12:11:15 PM »
Hi helicopter,  i think you will find on 1 October 2006, the Employment Equality (Age) Regulations come into effect. This new legislation makes it unlawful to discriminate on the grounds of age in employment and vocational training, unless this can be objectively justified. It prohibits direct discrimination, indirect discrimination, harassment and victimisation on age grounds.

all employers now must abide by this act and your age will not discriminate you from your application. we have taken on a guy aged 47 so as long as you can pass the fitness test and all the other requirements for the position you should not have any problems.

most Airports will take you on "Face Value" and are looking for team players as that's what the RFFS is all about.

hope this helps; and good luck with the tests !!

Keep living the Dream

Dave M

Offline helicopter

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 03:30:20 PM »
Thanks for your advice Yeebsy and DaveM...very encouraging.

I had found the Oct1 2006 act and its application but also the fact that Firemen hav a 50-55yr old retirement policy, although further reviews based on fitness and capability would allow extension of working period.

Medical wise I should be Ok as I am a helicopter pilot PHL and passed all medicals for that. Wish I had more time to train fitness wise though, as I was only invited for the written test assesment a few days ago and next week is the date of exam at a Category 9 airport :)

Still there maybe enough time to get into full shape before I have to do my physical and the 9.6 beep tests :)

I am a team player...hence I posted the info from the Australian Fireman recruitment procedures re the written tests, physical and overall application procedure on another post for my fellow competitor applicants,who were unaware of the tasks ahead... :) May the best Man/Woman win.

Thanks again to you both for your advice and will keep you informed of progress.

Semper Fidelis

Helicopter