Author Topic: Training Event Sheets and CAP699  (Read 4456 times)

Offline cbfire999

• www.firesafety.org.uk
Training Event Sheets and CAP699
« on: June 12, 2008, 12:01:13 PM »
Would anybody out there have any copies of Training Event Sheets that can be used in conjunction with the Units contained within CAP 699?  Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 12:20:27 PM »
Can you be a bit more specific as I'm not really clear on what you are asking. I've not heard of a Training Event Sheet, If it's training records then I'm afraid all ours are done on Redkite.
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline cbfire999

• www.firesafety.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 12:33:37 PM »
Heard them called Training Event Sheets or Simualtion Sheets.  Basically, pre designed training scenarios that can be used to satisfy the units of either CAP 699 or NVQ etc.

Offline Chunty

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:42:09 PM »
Our TMPA's and TML's (Training Module Practical Activity and Training Module Lecture) took weeks of work to complete. You could buy a copy if you like?

Mind you using other people's templates may not be correct for your needs which should be identified through a Task Analysis etc, the content will (if done correctly) be highly subjective to the category, operations and equipment/appliances at the specific workplace. I'll give you a tip, we use a SPEK analysis method (SPEK is copyright to myself) which starts by identifying a realistic worst case scenario, then analyse it as follows;

Situation - what has happened, what are you going to do about it?
Procedure - what are your SOP's for doing something about it?
Equipment - what equipment are you going to use to do it?
Knowledge - what do you need to know to use the equipment safely and effectively?

From gathering this info you can suss out what training you should be doing (bearing in mind all roles within the crew) and then develop suitable training activities to achieve this, whether they be technical lectures, drills or composite exercises (and don't make the mistake of forgetting the need to maintain, test and inspect). Once these have been defined then you can cross-map to the units of CAP 699. This avoids the mistake that some people make - trying to make the training suit CAP 699; concentrate on making CAP 699 fit your needs once you've satisfied yourself what they are. It may be that one or more parts of 699 don't occur in your workplace, you'd have a hell of a job trying to devise a training activity to suit an element of competence when you don't do the task. For example the guys that man a fire crew for a rooftop helipad don't drive fire appliances so how would they possibly achieve the standards of Unit 6, and why should they?

If you follow this method not only will your training be fit for purpose, but you've also got a verifiable audit trail that covers your backside if you're the one responsible (duty of care). Just remember to consult with all levels in your crew at every stage, don't isolate yourself in an office and do it all off the top of your head; and at each stage record who was involved.

For the record I am not an office dwelling academic, I am a firefighter who after years of local authority and airport roles has just managed to get a grasp of competence based training. It may take a lot of work but once done it's a doddle to use and in my experience beneficial to all involved.

If you need more advice fire away via the forum, if you need actual practical help email me but I don't come free, this is how I make my living these days. Good luck.