Author Topic: GETTING A CASUALTY OUT QUICKLY  (Read 8283 times)

GETTING A CASUALTY OUT QUICKLY
« on: December 07, 2003, 08:20:59 PM »
Having just completed a refresher course, involving multi-casualties in a building complex, with an A class burning. Ours was the first team in under stage 2 conditions. Our Lf (BA team leader) found the first casualty, and said follow the hose line out, instead of the wall. He was chastised for this inside and in the de-brief. When we know in reality this method is used, why can't training officers reflect this?

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 09:20:14 AM »
It's all about personal safety.  If you were to follow the hosereel it may well be that you unwittingly dragged it across a hole in the floor.  By following it you would compromise your safety as well as that of your partner and also the casualty.  I know that in the real world things are done differently, but those things cannot be officially endorsed by brigades training departments.  If they were and someone was injured, or, God forbid, a life were to be lost, just think of the H & S ramifications and the civil suits that would follow such an event.

No, the training debrief was quite correct; always ensure your own safety, always implement personal protection measures for maximum protection.

Cheers :D

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 10:39:00 PM »
As a training officer i would agree with the de brief and above guest,the hose line may be used as an additional means to help guide you back out but the wall should be the main guide used.

remember training officers know what happens in the real world as well and are only attempting to prevent accident and injuries from happening.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 11:03:27 PM »
Simple isn't it there is never going to be a hole or anything dangerous near the wall - EVER!!!!

Come on guys, should we not be training people to assess the risks and read the signs of danger. Dynamic risk assessment springs to mind.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 09:51:11 PM »
dont get where your coming from with the last post no one is saying there wouldnt be holes in the floor next to the wall but hopefully you would be looking for that with yer feet. The wall is a guide thats all we are saying it is a relatively good method of ensuring you find yer way back oot

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 03:48:46 PM »
I agree with elements of both sides of this argument. As a BAI and working in Training, both recruits and training qualified firefighters, the well recognised safe system of work employed by Uk fire services is to follow the wall. We drive this home to recruits as best practice and this will always be the default position. However, i agree, DRA must be used and qualified firefighters know their own limitations and have a good sense of avoiding danger (or take evasive actions). It is a point which needs reminding from time to time but to 'pick out' a single team for critisism says a lot about the management style of those instructors involved.

Stay safe!

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 10:50:24 AM »
I always offically instruct my crew to follow the wall. Unofficially I tell them to follow hose lines out of a building wherever possible.

Holes can appear anywhere within a building there is no less danger following a wall then following a hose line.

Its a case of doing the Firemans Foxtrot, sweeping your feet and hands in front of you checking for danger like we always shoule be doing.

Barry Jeffries TWFRS

Offline rips

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 10:12:29 PM »
who is barry jeffries?

i work in TWFRS and never heard of him.
Any views I express are my own and not my employers. Still confused!