FIRE SERVICE AND GENERAL FIRE SAFETY TOPICS > Fire Investigation

Newgrange Care Home

<< < (2/10) > >>

jayjay:
Looks like the fire was spreading in the roof void to me.  Had a similar incident a few years ago (prior to RRO  fire regs) separation had been provided but was not sealed effectively at underside of roof and access doors through the separation indicated Fire Door but were not.

Fortunately no one hurt bot 95% of roof lost.

How many assessors would have inspected the roof void ? I always made a point of checking them after the fire I atteded.

Dinnertime Dave:
O
--- Quote from: jayjay on April 11, 2017, 09:50:40 PM ---.

How many assessors would have inspected the roof void ? I always made a point of checking them after the fire I atteded.

--- End quote ---

How many assessors!

How many inspecting officers go in the roof? Haven't seen one yet.

lyledunn:
I can understand why assessors and inspectors don't access the roof space, many drive cars with no room for any kind of step ladders and like to go to work dressed as if they were off to the opera. In any event there may well be justified and invented health and safety reasons. So they are unlikely to access voids above suspended ceilings where compartmentation issues often abound.
When carrying out inspections on the electrical engineering services in a building I go to the job in a van, have appropriate industrial-grade access equipment, lighting and method statements prepared. I look in roof spaces and in voids, I have overalls on and I am prepared to get dirty.
Perhaps time that the FRA guys and gals had a look in their wardrobes for some different attire?

William 29:
The issue of large non-compartmented voids in roof spaces and the associated risks is well documented. However, we are still coming across this on new builds, that have been "passed" by building control or Approved Inspector. They would argue that a 60min ceiling in the top floor flats provides an equivocal standard to that provided in ADB, but it does not. Neither does cavity barriers.

All FRAs should be mentioning access to roof voids and spaces and if no access gained this should be clearly stated in the Limitations section of the FRA.

David Rooney:
Forgive my ignorance as I only design FDA systems ... but what is the argument behind the "60 min ceiling" versus properly compartmented voids?

Is it simply that once a fire has found its way to the void the expectation is that the roof will "quickly" collapse through the ceiling?

Therefore the less compartmentation there is the quicker the spread the more roof is liable to collapse?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version