Author Topic: Recording, written instructions and information.  (Read 3417 times)

Offline nearlythere

Recording, written instructions and information.
« on: November 12, 2010, 03:50:40 PM »
Employer with less than 5 employees does not have to record significant findings of Assessment. OK.
Where is it that says he must provide everything else written other than the necessary signage?

In the case of a relevant premises which is not a place of employment eg church, do I read, or not as the case may be, that there is no need to record either?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline John Webb

Re: Recording, written instructions and information.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 04:45:25 PM »
One of the problems with churches (and other charities) is that the HSE likes volunteers to be treated as if they were paid staff as far as H&S is concerned. Most churches have more than 5 volunteers and I always recommend that they do record their significant findings and where necessary act on them if shortcomings are found.

As far as training goes, a short summary of what people ought to do needs to be provided either in writing or verbally. Where people have specific duties - for example as 'fire wardens', then I think they should always be given written instructions specific to the building(s) they work in and a record kept of this training.

Additional comment:
Most churches are 'places of employment' as well as 'places of public assembly'. While in the Anglican church most clergy are classified as 'self-employed', in other denominations the clergy are often employed by a church group or committee. There are also other employees such as organists, possibly cleaners, and in larger churches there may be paid secretaries, shop staff etc.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 09:03:52 PM by John Webb »
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Offline jokar

Re: Recording, written instructions and information.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 07:32:12 PM »
NT, you already know that the only 2 places in the Order where things are recorded are Articles 9 and 11.  As both require the same criteria to record the information, there is no other Article where recording can take place.  However, most guidance will ask for records and as a pure defence mechanism it would be wise to record every FRA and other details.