Author Topic: internal shared exit in industrial units  (Read 3200 times)

Offline alfi

internal shared exit in industrial units
« on: April 03, 2017, 02:48:27 PM »
Gents

often we look at things alone and self doubt can creep in, could I ask for some opinions.What I trying to establish is the level of cover to be recommended without over specifying

issue

Four industrial units that are not linked except by this one internal fire exit, nothing has changed in the original design. The corridor is sterile except for EL and lights, each unit passes into it via a fire door and its a protected escape route from all the units. currently it has no means of alerting other tenants if the exit becomes untenable, personally I think as its sterile and separated by fire doors (not lobbied )then would adding AFD would be of little benefit to other users?, would they hear it. however I cant find any definitive codes on this issue and with no original fire strategy I'm looking for opinions. maybe recommending the other units interfacing their own fire panels with each other? or would this add little value. I suspect any fire in one unit would become noticeable before it started to cause structural damage and spread to the other units

Any suggestions?

ta

Alfi

Offline lyledunn

Re: internal shared exit in industrial units
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 09:07:11 AM »
I understand the sentiment expressed in the first sentence of your post Alfi and it is good to be able to seek opinion from a forum like this. I for one will certainly miss the soundings taken from the great Kurnal!
Any opinion that I might express is not coming from any where near the level of expertise of the said master.
However, the situation that you describe is not uncommon. I imagine that each unit is appropriately separated and has at least one other means of escape available so I don't see any value in providing automatic detection given the difficulties in relaying the alert.

Offline alfi

Re: internal shared exit in industrial units
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 10:49:55 AM »
Thanks for taking time to express opinion buddy