Author Topic: Airport Fire fighter  (Read 110499 times)

Offline Nathan

Airport Fire fighter
« on: May 20, 2006, 01:06:20 PM »
Just wondered what sort of things an Airport Fire fighter gets up to when they are on duty.
Keep Believing

Iron 4 Ever

Offline Fireguy1230

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 10:38:47 AM »
Hi Gingeriron

I've been in the Airport Fire Service for about 3 years now so i'll try and inform you as much as i can.

At the start of every shift we have a Roll Call where the officers and  firefighters meet and ensure that everyone is happy with their riding position for that day. Any other relevant information is passed here too.
 We then do a full inspection of the appliance (checking things like water and foam levels, lights, horns, pump operation and radio's, the locker contents etc). Each firefighter must also check his/her BA set carry out a test to ensure it is operating correctly.

We then carry out more thorough tests and inspections on certain pieces of equipment for that day (as determined by a computer generated Test and Maintenance schedule). This can range from small handlamps and small gear, up to vehicle pump performance tests and vehicle performance tests (speed, acceleration etc).
These are all tested to set standards and criteria.

From mid morning to early afternoon we train. This can take the form of internal BA heat and smoke exercises, aircraft firefighting exercises, RTA (sorry RTC!) training, ladder exercises or lectures etc. The training is quite diverse as each airport may also have an attendance commitment to incidents in the buildings and roads around the airport.

From mid to late afternoon most of the guys either go to the station gym and do some phys, or do some work on the computer. (theres always things to be reading up on or studying for)

Generally from early evening to end of shift its a stand down. This your own time to do your own things. Mainly this involves the guys sitting around putting the world to rights and moaning about hard a life they've got.

Obviously you get breaks throughout the day, and the nightshift may involve doing things like hydrant and dry riser test (which can't really be done during the daytime)

Hope this has enlightened you somewhat!

Offline stevfire2

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 08:55:46 PM »
an awful lot depends on the airport category, at cat2 and below expect much bulls***and other duties such as refuelling, ops, decorating, grasscutting etc. the higher the cat, the more the bull drops away!    
                             (15 yrs low cat drain rodder/ ratcatcher/firefighter)

Offline Nathan

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 11:01:44 PM »
Yes they've both helped alot, i watched Airport the other day an it just got me thinking what sort of things Airport Fire Services got up to. I suppose it is another option that i could choose if i do decide to join the Fire Service.
Keep Believing

Iron 4 Ever

Offline Firewolf

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 02:56:58 PM »
You will find particularly on the lower category airports, aerodromes and airfields firefighters preform number of additional roles such as:-

- Medical Service (yes I know all firefighters do this, but on some airfields personnel may man ambulances)
- gritting runways
- refuelling aircraft
- Bird scaring
- Defrosting aircraft

Some airport fire services wherever possible will cover their local neighbourhoods under agreement with the local fire service.
BE ALERT BE VIGILANT BE SAFE  (c)

Offline blazing_air

• http://www.kiafire.org.uk
Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 09:01:17 PM »
Quote from: Firewolf
You will find particularly on the lower category airports, aerodromes and airfields firefighters preform number of additional roles such as:-

- Medical Service (yes I know all firefighters do this, but on some airfields personnel may man ambulances)
- gritting runways
- refuelling aircraft
- Bird scaring
- Defrosting aircraft

Some airport fire services wherever possible will cover their local neighbourhoods under agreement with the local fire service.
Hi, sorry this post is a bit late after the original post by Firewolf, but i stumbled across it and coudlnt beleive that it hadn't been corrected:

-gritting runways???
 i don't know any airport authority that would allow their runway to be gritted !!
To put the records straight - a lot of lower and higher cat rffs are involved in the anti/de-icing of runways and taxiways - this is a fluid that is applied to to the surfaces as grit would cause considerable damage to aircraft.
Essentially if the runway is covered with ice or snow, no aircraft can take off or land, thus reducing the need for the Fire Service until the task is complete.
( a handy tool for management when the word flexibility comes into the conversation )

-refuelling aircraft???
 hopefully anyone that has read chapter 8 of cap 168 will know that aircraft refuelling is one of the tasks that the aerodrome fire service can not carry out. With the obvious disastrous consequences should any clothing be contaminated with fuel.

defrosting aircraft???
Again this is known as aircraft anti/de-icing and is very rarely a task that is given to the rffs, as to do the job correctly involves working at height, which would seriously impede any response and the chance of being contaminated with fluid which is sprayed from hosereels.

Sorry if this seems a bit picky, but better to know the facts

Offline stevfire2

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 09:19:46 PM »
But the caa do know that many sites DO refuelling.we cant deny it at smaller sites. on our last formal inspection, our inspector was happy that as long as whatever we did( provided it  did not cause response times to be comprimised, and we had assessed it as acceptable,and recorded it) was acceptable by them. we dont like fuelling either, but cannot escape the task.
incidentaly, our fire kit suppliers now make a quick release fuellers uniform that can be torn off like a strippers,to allow the donning of fire kit.

Offline blazing_air

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 09:23:53 PM »
BLIMEY !
Well i take your word for it steve, just go's to show where the backbone of SRG has gone these days doesn't it.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 09:26:43 PM »
Now that description  paints an interesting picture. Do you do it to music or offer charity performances?

Offline blazing_air

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 09:28:57 PM »
ner ner ner ner ner ner nert nert - backing track for the commitments !!

Offline Game on

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 09:17:27 PM »
It seems that some Airport FFs do refuel aircraft as well.  

See here:   http://www.southendairport.net/Jobs_rffs.htm

Offline tazuk

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 03:53:37 PM »
Quote from: blazing_air
-refuelling aircraft???
 hopefully anyone that has read chapter 8 of cap 168 will know that aircraft refuelling is one of the tasks that the aerodrome fire service can not carry out. With the obvious disastrous consequences should any clothing be contaminated with fuel.

Sorry if this seems a bit picky, but better to know the facts
Having just joined and found this topic i thought i would just say a few words about CAP168 Chap 8. Or rather Appendix 8H Chap 6

RFFS personnel and Refuelling

Direct from said CAP

6.3.1 Personnel detailed to be available to operate the facility may be engaged on other
activities provided that a response to an aircraft accident meeting the objectives of
Paragraph 6 above can be made. If fuelling of aircraft is one of the activities
undertaken, then measures to ensure that fuel-contaminated clothing can be quickly
changed, shall be in place.
6.3.2 At aerodromes where the RFF category is Special, 1 or 2, personnel designated to
operate the RFF facility may be engaged on fuelling of aircraft provided that:
a) response time(s) are not compromised;
b) they remain throughout the fuelling operation immediately available to respond.
This requires the fuelling system to be of a type which allows instantaneous shut
off, preferably by release of a handgrip;
c) that fuel-contaminated clothing may be quickly removed and personnel may
quickly don personal protective clothing appropriate for use in fire fighting
activities;
d) personnel are fully trained for all relevant duties specific to the fuelling of aircraft
and the RFFS.

Just my 2pence worth.

Offline Lee1982

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 09:14:30 AM »
Hey, has anyone got any information on the day to day life at Manchester Airport as a Firefighter, also shift patterns ,salary structure and pension scheme?????

Any info would be great....

Offline yorkie

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 05:28:50 PM »
could anyone give me the normal shift pattern for heathrow firefighters please

Offline Yeebsy

Airport Fire fighter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 07:00:24 PM »
Starting on a Thursday we do, 2 days 2 nights 2 off, 1 day 2 nights 2 off, 2 days 1 night 2 off, 2 days 2 nights 8 off.
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!