Author Topic: Displays in Residential care home corridors  (Read 3067 times)

Offline MickA

Displays in Residential care home corridors
« on: March 31, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »
I was interested in knowing the views from the forum reference displays on corridor walls in residential care homes. In dementia wards displays known as ‘Wayfarer’ are often being provided, these taking the form of such things as seaside or farming themes. Materials could consist of paper, cardboard, string, shells, etc, and may be painted with water colours.

The displays are there to help orientate residents suffering from dementia, so that they will use the displays to orientate themselves which will help them remember the direction and location of areas within the home such as the lounge or toilet. Also they help to stimulate the mind.

It is my understanding some Fire Authorities are saying that they cannot have any of these displays on walls, others are accepting small display areas.
Looking at the guidance it could be argued that these combustible displays should not be provided in corridors providing escape. However, where the corridors are not dead end corridors and there is no ignition source and obviously fire detection is provided, with good compartmentation, do you think the principal of these displays would be acceptable in moderation.

Offline DavyFire

Re: Displays in Residential care home corridors
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 09:31:03 PM »
Hi,
   A similar situation is often encountered in school corridors. The Dept of Education has issued guidance on this and it could possibly be applied in your case.

Do not put displays down stairways which are part of a designated fire escape route
In school corridors, display material should be kept away from curtains, doors and heat sources, so that fire cannot easily spread to the building fabric.
Try to keep down the total area used for displays in any one area. The area may be increased if the displays are treated with one of the proprietary flame retardant sprays or locations are agreed with the Fire Brigade.
Keep displays away from exits.
Keep displays away from ceiling voids which lack fire barriers.
Displays must not obstruct escape routes or obscure fire notices, fire alarm call points, fire fighting equipment, emergency exit signs or lights.

Parts of walls (e.g. pin-boards) in horizontal circulation areas, which are not protected corridors, may be of a lower class for spread of flame, but limited to lengths of 3m and with gaps of 1m. In corridors such materials should not be used immediately opposite each other.

It is down the fire risk assessor to determine the individual case on its merits and decide what is acceptable in the circumstances. Using flame retardant spray is an option and using the figures above of 3m display with a 1m gap should help prevent fire spread.
DF

Offline MickA

Re: Displays in Residential care home corridors
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 03:27:32 PM »
Hi DavyFire, thanks for the information and sorry for the delay in replying. I will take the information into account.

I am just concerned at the inconsistency of the different Fire Authorities in this matter. Irrespective, I will make a judgement call on each individual premises.

Thanks

MickA