Author Topic: BA Seacrh procedure with Hose reel  (Read 83544 times)

Offline Lee999

BA Seacrh procedure with Hose reel
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 03:27:04 PM »
I would of course listen to any suggestion.

Offline fireftrm

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2005, 04:10:26 PM »
I would listen if there were any new procedures...........and not just a new design of something that should be in a museum.

You may note that I did not say that a hosereel could be aguideline in the same sense that a guideline would be used, GLs are for laying to provide a path to follow, the hosereel does this admirably as a way of getting out, plus (rather handily) can cool and extinguish. I would have the rell as one of the many tools to be used with that ball of string in a cupboard somehwere in an outdoor adventure camp (for following around trees blindfolded)

As to the hose/reel burning through I was, of course, referring to the possibility that the fire may have spread behind you. The very idea of taking a guideline into a burning building fills me with terror, string does burn so well.

Now for your new one - 300C is great, but it still takes ages to lay and is still a guideline, and so unecessary. After all you agreed with Lee's points - good ICS, RAs etc do away with the GL

Billy the horse isn't just dead its been buried for years, give it up! I am sure that the stablelads of old had similar arguments against the buiders/designers of steam engines and they, in turn, with the internal combustion engine proponents.

PS I also respect your determination!
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline Billy

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2005, 12:19:41 PM »
Fireftrm

I think that you better tell your bosses that the Guidelines are dead because it is them, not me who still keep them on ALL appliances and it is them who will expect YOU to use them in certain circumstances!

And if you don't use them when your procedures say you should, the lawyers will have a field day!!!

So before you tell me to give  up on  trying to improve the faults with them, try telling your bosses or your legal section that you would never use guidelines in any circumstances, and see what their reaction is?

Offline ian gough

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2005, 12:50:03 PM »
My sentiments entirely Billy!

Offline Paul

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2005, 05:43:15 PM »
I know I said I wouldn’t get involved but this is just infantile.

There is not a lawyer in the land who would have any such case.  As you all should know, every incident is dealt with dynamically.  If the OIC deems it too dangerous to use GL’s at the scene and occupants died, I would put my house on the line to say that I honestly do not believe that a lawyer would be able to prove that had GL’s been deployed then persons would have been saved, now come on and get a &&5$$ grip.

I have never in all my born life heard of anything so unbelievable.  You all go on about not being operational and that some of us are old sweats, but come down to my patch and speak to any officer / JO/ FF.  If you gave them this argument not a single person would comprehend such willingness to commit FF’s into a building.  The problem here is you need to think of the bigger picture and not what you have been indoctrinated in.  The risk here is committing colleagues and friends to a dangerous environment clipped onto a length of string.

I bet each and everyone of you would be lining up to clip onto a GL given the opportunity.  For reference I have done this before any comments come back.  Perhaps this is why I don’t advocate it.

Offline ian gough

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2005, 10:03:04 AM »
Psmith: has at ever crossed your mind that conditions in a large complicated building can change during firefighting operations? Or do you NEVER go into a building on fire now?

Also: I certainly do not share your confidence that the lawyers would not have a case! (although, of course, we are discussing possible firefighter deaths and/or injuries - not just occupants) They said this in West Yorks (Bradford City fire) and Hampshire (Digital fire) although different issues, of course - but the courts were not too impressed with either fire services I recall who could not argue their case in the outside world. I do have sympathy with your fears, however, I'm trying to get you to think outside of the fire station mess room here.

Finally, your penultimate paragraph is confusing.

Offline Billy

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2005, 03:57:58 PM »
Psmith

I think you are totally missing the point here as there is a major difference between doing a dynamic risk assessment and deciding not to use guidelines for justifiable reasons and  having the mindset that you would NEVER use guidelines in any circumstances.

The first one is highly commendable and the second would result in a claim against your Service as they are Vicariously  liable for your actions and your justification for not using them would expose major faults in guidelines that we all know are there, but have done nothing about!

Or I suppose if any case went to court you could just lie!!!!!

Offline fireftrm

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2005, 10:12:03 AM »
Ian - Pauls entire post is extremely clear and no confusion that I can see, perhaps you still don't want to accept the reality of the modern FRS, where we will not always enter a building on fire.

To you and Billy:

I really cannot believe (though am faced with enough of your comments on here to be dismayed by the evidence), in this day and age, that there are still Ffs who are of the opinion that a guideline will be of any value (and worse still that it will actually be a safe method for Ffs) to use in a building on fire.

I am absolutley convinced that the lawyers would have no case, because the DRA would have clearly identified that the GL was not a safe system of work and therefore not a suitbale control measure. The IC would have a demonstrable RA and the suitable control chosen. Billy says "And if you don't use them when your procedures say you should, the lawyers will have a field day!!!" - which procedures? I know of none that say 'YOU WILL USE A GUIDELINE IN THESE CIRCUMSTANCES' what I do know is that  the IC must make a risk assessment and I know of no (with the exception of you two) any ICs who would include a GL as a safe method of searching a building on fire and I cannot believe that anyone would be so naive as to consider that a GL will allow a search to rescue people still alive.

Billy please give me an example of an incident (real or imaginary) where, having carried out a DRA (list it please) the ONLY option to allow a safe search for the fire (please don't include life rescue because they will be dead before the line is laid - if not already). As to the vicarious liability - my FRS would not be responsible because you will note that I said - "I cannot imagine any such incident". Ian, I am not arguing at the mess table, I am giving real world RA answers, it seems to me that the GL would be the hard one to defend in that real world, there are (unfortunately) examples where it could have been so tested.

As it happens my 'bosses' (with whom I have operational discussions regularly) agree, but we still have GLs as they remain (unfortunatley) in the Ff NOS. They, along with all my peers, are campaigning to have them removed from the British FRS, but die-hards, who still think it is acceptable to send Ffs into dangerous burning buildings with little chance of saving the proeprty and no lifes to rescue, want GLs - because they are there now and change is so frightening. Hopefully they will all be retired soon and off selling GLs to the unwary so we can move forward.
As to the case potentially demonstrating the major flaws in the GL, I think you just answered why the case would fail to find that I, or my service, were at fault over not using them, rather that we were acting in the best interests of the safety of our personnle by leaving them in their bargs. A perfect response to the lawyer, thanks for pointing that one out as a great benefit to the case for the defence, especiallyas the RA decision not to use them would be a good indicator that we had done something about their problmes and dangers - by not using them. Brilliant as a clear reason for the DRA decision, all ICs out there note Billy's comment - it will aid your RA. Billy - I think we may yet have you saved, at last you have started using the rationale that we have been using, they are dangerous, we know the faults, so our DRA will say don't use them. Thanks again for seeing reason, even if you haven't yet realised it.

I remain, solidly, in the same camp as Paul, and I beleive Lee. I also think that Andy has more than a slight grasp on the ideal.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline Billy

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2005, 11:25:02 AM »
Fireftrm
We are closer than you think in relation to these problems, but when you think that by stating that the DRA would clearly demonstrate that a guideline is not a safe system of work, you have not protected yourself in my opinion, merely implicated yourself!

Please forget all that has went before and deal with these facts as they are presented

My reply to you and your FRS is:
1. Why do you have a piece of equipment that is not a safe system of work on all your appliances?

2. If you have identified that it is not a safe system of work, what have you done to resolve this problem?

Call me cynical but I cannot see any FRS entering a court room admitting that a Guideline is not a safe system of work because they would be immediately found liable for allowing it on all appliances in the first place!

Therefore your FRS would probably state that they believe under certain circumstances, and used properly,  guidelines are safe.

I also believe that we are getting bogged down with whether we use them or not and the main point is if the lawyer or QC even asks why we did or didn't use them?

Fireftrm- I think you totally misunderstand me so let's clear up some points.

I have already cleared my costs in developing this new design and money was not the driving force anyway!

The reason that I started this venture is because of all the points YOU have agreed with about how dangerous Guidelines are in the first place.

My solution (you'll like this Fireftrm!)

Take all guidelines off all frontline appliances as in their present form, they are dangerous, we can't use them properly and we all know it.

Find an alternative way of searching large buildings safely for Fire crews.

This will take time and meantime we should consider the merits of the new guideline as an interim measure- we may not need to if we can justify not using them at all.

If my design is proved to be no better than the current one in use, we put both in a museum of your choice Fireftrm!

What do you think?

that is my personal opinion and not that of my employer.

Offline Lee999

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2005, 11:55:42 AM »
Yipeeeeeee!

You said it Billy, lets get rid of them today.

Sectorisation, PPV, Tactical ventilation, TIC.

I believe that the vast majority of structures can be searched and cleared using any combination of the above.

Stations need to risk assess every large building on their respective grounds, formulate a prefire plan and attach it to the risk card for that premises. Simple.

G/L's not required!

If however you have a particually complex, unusual structure then its not so simple. For instance an underground military facility, special procedures will need to be adopted.(not to include a 60m bit of string in a bag!)

Interesting to note that G/L were introduced following a fatal fire in an underground military facility.

Offline Billy

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2005, 12:05:40 PM »
Lee 999

I think you will find that a lot of underground military facilities have pre-laid guidelines already fitted and the crews using them say they work great!

So why wouldn't you include them if they work?
Just a point!

Offline Lee999

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2005, 12:33:50 PM »
As I suggested, special procedures will need to be adopted.

Luckily, 99.99999% of buildings we protect are not complex, underground military establishments.

Offline Billy

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2005, 01:12:12 PM »
They may not be underground military establishments, but a lot are complex buildings and we need to have procedures in place to search them!

Offline Lee999

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2005, 03:38:46 PM »
I agree with you.

What are your thoughts with regards to my suggestions above?

Offline Billy

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2005, 03:54:34 PM »
I agree with most of your points but i am a little uneasy of going into a large complicated building with only a TIC to find your way out!

PPV should be used  if only we had it on all appliances. Risk assessments as you suggested could be improved and we should all remember that we are assessing the risk for fire crews in case of fire!