Author Topic: Fire Risk Assessors Required  (Read 11056 times)

Offline William 29

• http://www.tfsltd.net
Fire Risk Assessors Required
« on: June 09, 2015, 01:00:39 PM »

Offline William 29

Re: Fire Risk Assessors Required
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 10:55:30 PM »
Still looking for quality fire risk assessors, starting in Jan 2016.

Offline JT

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 06:27:17 PM »
Everyone's looking for quality fire risk assessors!
Doesnt seem to be much quality around (that's available) unfortunately.
We seem to attract H&S/EHO guys.

How has your recruitment been?

Offline William 29

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 09:16:13 PM »
Not great! Having to re think it, looking at fire engineering graduates. The experienced ex and serving fire safety officers are disappearing fast.
Training up from scratch seems best option.

Offline JT

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 09:30:54 PM »
Hampshire fire run a btec for their new fire safety officers, and a fire safety consultancy put one of their youngsters on it.
Might be worth talking to your local fire service, especially as they're commercial now.
Get them qualified by the fire service and mold into what you want.
Just another idea that may be quicker and cheaper than a fire eng grad depending on what your business needs.

Offline Jim Scott

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 03:13:14 PM »
The money appears to generally poor at the moment though, which reflects the quality of the person that is likely to be recruited.

It doesn't help when Mr 'Cheap as chips' will quote ?130 for doing a risk assessment though.

It will go full circle, it always does....

Offline Golden

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 04:46:31 PM »
Jim - and then probably sub that out to somebody to carry out for ?65! I've turned down numerous offers of work recently particularly in social housing due to the poor money on offer. Another recent issue is those that interview prospective assessors while they are bidding for jobs just so that they can put you on the bid/website and then you never hear from them again - was caught out a few times by this last year and now don't bother attending unless there is a firm offer including acceptable rates.

William - have you tried the LinkedIn fire safety forums as you are possibly more likely to get a response and if you insist they go through your process then it will weed out some of the lower quality responders (although you will still probably get hundreds of 'please review my profile' responses in the thread from people who are not entitled to work in the UK!).

Offline Jim Scott

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 07:26:09 PM »
Very true!

I have recently been contacted by three companies, all offering virtually half of my current salary.

Incredible that some people have the nerve.

No doubt they will employ an ex EHO who has never done an FRA in his/her life.

Offline lyledunn

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 07:38:49 PM »
Forgive my daft comment, but surely fire risk assessment is somewhat ephemeral. I carry out inspections of electrical installations, emergency lighting, fire alarms etc. A wee bit like getting your hair cut (apologies to the billiard balls) it needs done on a fairly regular basis. Fire risk assessments on the otherhand once done just need to be reviewed. Is there really enough top end stuff to mould a career around? Or is FRA only part of what you do? Perhaps consultancy, design etc?
Sometimes I am too colloquial for my own good. Northern Ireland is a relatively small place but it seems to have its fair share of fire risk assessors (perhaps they let folk retire out of the NIFRS too early). Maybe I am wrong but I would have thought that it would be difficult enough to rely on fire risk assessment alone. Still, fire safety is a great discipline and I respect you all for your abundant knowledge and wide experience!

Offline Jim Scott

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 07:52:32 PM »
There would be plenty of work of mere fire risk assessing for years to come.  Often, undoing/redoing the work of others!

However, as a fire engineer, I can assure you there is plenty of work to feed my family for until I retire!

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 08:22:54 PM »
For anyone who provides a good service in any field there will never be a shortage of work.
All my customers came by personal recommendation and there were never enough hours in the day. The customers who appreciate your good service are more than happy to pay a fair business rate.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 03:56:03 PM »
Not great! Having to re think it, looking at fire engineering graduates. The experienced ex and serving fire safety officers are disappearing fast.
Training up from scratch seems best option.
That's what you'll have to do with Grads when you get them Will. Teach them to do fire safety.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.