Author Topic: Video Fire Detection  (Read 14860 times)

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Video Fire Detection
« on: September 08, 2012, 06:01:41 PM »
Does anyone know of any installations using video fire detection, which people could look at?
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline jayjay

Re: Video Fire Detection
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:58:26 PM »
Hi Colin

I look after a large concert venue which is a listed building. I recommended additional smoke detection but the planners would not allow smoke detectors to be placed in public view.

A company called Kablefree which we use for wireless systems have fitted video cameras in the lighting control at the rear of the seated area. This system detect the movement of smoke and sounds the alarm. These cameras monitor the auditorium and stage area. The video pictures are viewable on a monitor in the managers office and can be also be recorded.

The company is located in Newcastle, you can either Google them to find more details or if you want I can contact them next week for a name of the equipment.

Offline colin todd

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 11:46:34 PM »
Hi Jay Jay its not the name of the equipment I am after, its an actual installation that we can look at and evaluate the performance and identify the user's experience. Would this job be a suitable one?

Offline jayjay

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 08:18:36 PM »
Hi Colin I think it probably would

The premises are The City Hall in Newcastle upon Tyne

If you want more details let me know

Offline colin todd

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 10:33:44 AM »
I want more details, so I am letting you know!!!!

Offline jayjay

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 12:36:16 PM »
Colin sorry for the delay

If you wish to contact the manager of the City Hall his name is deleted by Kurnal.

The Hall is located in the City Centre Newcastle upon Tyne.

I do have the equipment make and some trade literature and power point presentations on the system.

Hi Jayjay sorry to meddle but please pass third party contact details by private message Kurnal
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:41:41 PM by kurnal »

Offline colin todd

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 08:35:39 PM »
Jay Jay if you can let me have details of Mr Deleted by Kurnal (when I get to know him can I call him Del for short) I would be very grateful.  My email address is colin.todd@cstodd.co.uk.  I would like to arrange a visit, albeit risking the theft of the wheels from my car by visiting Newcastle city centre.  Many thanks for your help thus far.

Offline westerner

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 08:49:31 PM »
I have very recently spoken to people concerned at this site, they have experienced a few false alarms especially at this time of year when the sun is very low. to overcome the problem additional view zones have been set up with a double or triple knock.

Offline colin todd

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 05:41:16 PM »
Westy, we would be very interested to know about these false alarms.

Offline westerner

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
The company that installed the system carried out some initial tests to prove it was working with a smoke machine, which was quite impressive. however it isn't really a fire so can be fooled into false activation. They have found that when the sun is low the camera picks up solar reflection on the floor in the main auditorium, so now the system is either isolated when in session or additional zones have been configured to provide a double/triple knock on the viewing area, I supect it would have to be a significant fire before it is picked up. Although I can see why they have used this technology rather than point detection or ASD as it is a listed building, the ceiling height is pretty high too (not sure how high but guess 8-10m) and it would need a pretty big fire before detection is achieved.
hope this helps?

Offline colin todd

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 07:19:14 PM »
It does help, Westy.  I am progessing the possibility of a site visit so that we can learn from their experience.  Thanks.

Offline Messy

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 08:53:02 AM »
I am resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone else has had any difficulties with Video Smoke Detection -VSD.

I cant say too much about a project I have been working on (customer confidentiality and all that), however, the system is installed in a large building which has vehicles moving in it regularly. There are a large number of inner rooms that are located off the main space where the vehicles are moving and the VSD was partly designed to protect the MOE from these inner rooms.

After more than a year, the VSD is still not connected to the main fire alarm system as it has been generating multiple UwFS. Instead, the VSD sounds a local alarm during the day which can be investigated by staff, but is effectively unmonitored at night (which is exactly the opposite of what was required in the design brief)

It simply cannot handle sunshine through windows, and that point at the end of the day when the sun suddenly goes down reducing the light levels within a short space of time. Its has gone off when doors or blinds are opened or closed creating a burst of sunshine, and another origin of problems are vehicle headlights, brake lights and reversing lights. The installers have iron out 75% of the problems, but its still not reliable enough in a premises where business continuity is important and regular interruptions (evacuations) cannot be accepted

I know I shouldn't feel this way after just one experience, but I have no confidence in this technology at present and would like to hear some good news stories if you have any?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:56:13 AM by Messy »

Offline Jim Scott

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 06:03:04 PM »
A colleague of mine installs these systems.

Apparently, they had problems with spiders a little while ago.

Offline JT

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 10:25:08 PM »
I've done a bit of testing and had a play with video detection, expensive product but has its purpose.
You can mask out an area that would frequently give false alarms.

Has your problem been resolved messy?