Author Topic: Theatre Fire Detection  (Read 2510 times)

Offline jayjay

Theatre Fire Detection
« on: September 20, 2012, 01:25:24 PM »
Question for the fire alarm experts.

Fire detection in a theatre

This is a large traditional theatre with safety curtain, stage hay stack ventilation and combined heat and smoke detection above the stage. The whole fire warning system was renewed about 12 months ago during a major refurbishment.

A fault developed in the panel recently preventing the combined heads going into heat only mode during a production and also disabled the delay for management to take control.

During smoke effects in a recent production the alarms immediately operated in the whole building which did not provided the necessary time for staff to be in place for an evacuation which did cause concern and confusion.

Whilst repairing the system the engineer reported that the smoke detectors above the stage were losing their sensitivity and suggested that the heads were becoming contaminated due to the smoke effects.
What I am asking is, after only one year is it likely that the heads are becoming contaminated so quickly or could they be failing?

Smoke is not used for every theatre production and this has not been identified in other venues using smoke effects.

The heads are located below the fly galleries at about 6.5m above the stage.

The question now being asked is can the combined heads be replaced with heat only.  I have concerns for the building protection at the times the stage is not in use and only minimal staff may be near the area and at night times when the theatre is closed. Due to the height of the detectors I would consider that a fire could grow to a larger size before detection than would be the case if the smoke detection was retained.

Views of the forum would be appreciated.

Offline westerner

Re: Theatre Fire Detection
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 10:05:31 PM »
Switching to a heat mounted at 6.5m would mean a pretty big fire before it activated and in my opinion any manual intervention and management processes = potential problems, I saw some article the other day about ASA detectors from Cerberus PRO that were installed and commissioned by a company called Blackbox that worked in a night club in Scotland with a smoke machine on full blast. I didnt even know Cerberus was sold by the trade?