FIRE SERVICE AND GENERAL FIRE SAFETY TOPICS > Service Training OR Recruitment

FIRE BEHAVIOUR INSTRUCTORS

(1/2) > >>

DENNIS:
Hello Everyone,
Just a simple audit on the subject of Fire Behaviour Instructors.
What is your Brigade policy on:
Age - In relation to when enough is enough.
Break - How much time do you get in between courses.
Currency - How long you are expected to be involved.

I have it on fairly good info that Moreton run their FBT on a 3 year max cycle with an age limit of 40.

All info greatfully received

rips:
Tyne & Wear.
We have instructors of all ages. As long as they pass a medical, and keep passing a 6-monthly medical any one who is taken on as an instructor can perform the role.
The stay at the Training Centre is any where from 2 to 3 years.
We only do 1 course per week, used to be two but the instructors were getting hammered.
Hope this helps.

DENNIS:
Cheers rips,
Can't really say where I'am from but it is south of you and on the opposite coast.
As much as I can find out your place is similar to ours ie FBT Instructors get literally burnt out.
We run sometimes 2 - 2day courses a week (carbonaceous & LPG) and also include intergrated BA courses as almost all of us are BAi's too - the BA courses can include hot wears for both Op's and commercial courses.
Our medical screening is good - monthly self check forms and full annual medicals but we have many FBT instructors over 45 years of age and also some who have been doing it in excess of 5 years.
We have had personnel with medical problems and I don't think our H&S is not being managed correctly.
I personally think this subject should have set national guidelines to cover issues like age, wears, breaks, length of time allowed to instruct for exposure reasons.

rips:
There is a national working party looking at FBT and PPV. It might be worth finding out if they are looking at our health interests.
We used to do two two day courses a week, but that was stopped. We have started wearing cool vests which are a great help. If you want some info I will get it for you.
Also some Brigades work a 1, 3, 9 policy. 1 wear a day, 3 a week, 9 a month. Brigades have then had to supply more instructors.
And don't forget the new manual on stress in training, there is plenty of pointers in there for you to get a better working system. Get back if you need any information from above.

DENNIS:
Rips,
Cheers for your info.
The 1,3,9 system would cause chaos here but at least instructors would have good recovery periods.
I have the 'Guidance on the management of the risk of heat stress during training' document, I find it very non specific in a lot of areas and the information in the collection of data very narrow certainly in relation to instructor exposure.
We too use cool vests and very much find the benefit.
I also like the idea you have of 6 monthly medicals as opposed to our annual ones but Iam also aware some Brigades do much less for their instructors.
The steering group/working party would be an interesting place to listen and contribute and I think they are in your neck of the woods in september.
Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version