Author Topic: Fire alarm service & emergency lighting  (Read 3826 times)

Offline podder

Fire alarm service & emergency lighting
« on: November 26, 2007, 04:57:25 PM »
Hello,

I would like some advice on anyone reading this who has some experiance in the fire alarm & emergency lighting sector. We have been in the fire protection business ( extinguishers , training , etc) for a few years, we are a family run business, and after years of our customers asking us to carry out checks / services on alarms & lighting, we have decided  to offer this service. My question is what qualifications do i need to look out for in a candidate. We have seen courses for alarm service & lighting that are 1 & 2 days, but it seems a short course to learn so much. We are a ISO reg co , and we just want to make sure we do things right from the word go. Any advice or pointers in the right direction would be very gratefull and appreciated.
Paul

Graeme

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 06:57:27 PM »
start here as you need to able to prove that you are competant to do what is required. per individual in the company.

http://www.fia.uk.com/en/Training/Training_Courses/

i would advise you to employ someone who already has experience with an electrical background as this is a big change from what you are doing.

you will also need to become thrid party accredited  i.e BAFE or NSI

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 04:16:07 PM »
I think you might find that the respective BSs do say that the responsible person should have the systems inspected  and tested by a competant person. A competant person has been the subject of discussion on this site many times.
My view, for what it's worth, is that weekly, monthly and quarterly checks can be carried out by a non qualified but competant person. The annual and 5 yearly checks includes components and wiring checks and under electrics at work legislation, I suggest, should be done by a qualified person.
But I will be subject to contradiction very soon, I think.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.