Author Topic: Ad-Hoc Flame Tests  (Read 5213 times)

Offline Tadees

Ad-Hoc Flame Tests
« on: December 21, 2010, 12:45:23 PM »
The DCLG guides say this can be done.  However, where can I find guidance on what size of material (e.g. drape) is to be used, how long the flame should be applied for and what constitutes a pass or fail?

Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a brighter day.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Re: Ad-Hoc Flame Tests
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 01:07:47 PM »
Ad Hoc is as it says, simply an informative  non scientific test that can be used as a pointer to the likely performance in a fire.

For curtains you can usually find a section of spare material at the bottom corners where it is turned up from the bottom and in from the sides. I usually cut off a small strip say 50mm x 10mm and  apply a cigarette lighter. I expect the fabric to char without flaming or if it does flame at all to stop flaming and self extinguish as soon as the flame is removed. If it does not pass this test then I recommend treatment with an appropriate proprietory system in accordance with the appropriate BS.

Just tested some polythene said to be fire retardant I found in a block of flats during corridor refurbishment. Wow did that go!

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 01:33:57 PM »
Broadly in-line with the previous reply:

A relatively simple "does it ignite, and continue to burn once the original flame is removed" should usually be enough to warrant taking/sending a sample for possible testing or removing it from the premises/treating it, if this is proven to be the case. (Depending on the nature of the premises of course). This being the case, a sample just large enough so that the initial ignition doesn't burn the whole sample. i.e. make sure there is enough to show that flames continue upon removal of the ignition source.

IIRC the BS test requires a number of specifically sized examples. i.e. 225mm x 225mm, to fit in the test rig, so it would be wise for any enforcing authority to be aware of what size they need to take for evidence if this might be needed.

Offline Tadees

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 02:37:01 PM »
Thanks, much appreciated.

Offline Fishy

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 03:29:02 PM »
The DCLG guides say this can be done.  However, where can I find guidance on what size of material (e.g. drape) is to be used, how long the flame should be applied for and what constitutes a pass or fail?

I'm intrigued - which CLG guide are we talking about?

Offline Tadees

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 04:29:22 PM »
Small and medium places of assembly