Author Topic: Advice on an MOD qualification  (Read 4708 times)

Offline kev14

Advice on an MOD qualification
« on: January 27, 2011, 04:17:01 PM »
Hi
I am looking for some advice on whether the MOD 3 week Fire prevention course delivered at FSCTE Manston about 5 years ago is recognised in the world outside of the MOD.
I am wondering if I could use it and my experience carrying out Fire risk assessments for the MOD if I leave the service.
All advice gratefully recieved.

Offline deaconj999

Re: Advice on an MOD qualification
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:53:56 PM »
Kev,

Go back to Manston or the BTM, I'm pretty sure that the answer is no as it did not give you the ticket as an inspecting officer outside the MOD. Unless things have changed and I don't think they have, you would have had to do the outreach courses delivered at Manston by the intructors from Manston.

As far as carrying out FRAs if you leave the MOD, then strictly speaking there is nothing stopping you, other than further qualifications, conscience, depth of knowledge, competence and professional indemnity insurance.

You could also apply for membership to an accredited risk assessors register to see if you meet the requirements.

PM me if you wish for more detailed advice.

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 09:06:32 PM »

Not wishing to be negative but presumably this was a course taken prior to the fire safety order, on the positive side you say you have experience of carrying out risk assessments.

Being accredited would would help but there are plenty of people out there who aren`t - some are very good. I also know of of ex senior fire service officers who state their 30 years in the fire service as relevant experience, but they have spent all of their time on fire engines.       

Know your limitations, I have seen risk assessments on tower blocks where the assessor didn`t understand the significance of the firefighting lift or the dry riser that hadn`t been tested or inspected for 10 years.

Offline kev14

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 10:12:49 PM »
cheers for the advice guys.