Author Topic: Fire fighters entering a building  (Read 31986 times)

Offline Tom Sutton

All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline nearlythere

Re: Fire fighters entering a building
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »
Tom.

When I joined we were taught never to put water on smoke as it will only cause water damage and not put the fire out. We were also taught to get in as close to the fire as possible and put water on the base of the fire and only the base of the fire. Incidentally, we were also taught to play a jet of water over the ceiling in order to bring down burning debris due to the fact a couple of O2 wearers had recently died due to this happening to them, ( that is what probably saved many a fire fighters life in our FRS but we did not know it as we did not understand compartmental fire development). Our commanders were taught never to ventilate until the fire was extinguished. I was not allowed to train in BA until I had completed at least one year on the back of the pump (in order to teach me what it was like to breath smoke.) Incidentally this was only allowed by the way because the H&S act was not implemented in the fire service at the time. Not to mention hook ladders!  :-X Hose reels no better than garden hoses, plastic fire engine cabs, plastic leggings, wellie boots, wolley overcoat fire tunics, no gloves, nor flashoods, and cork helmets.

Compare and contrast this to modern fire fighting techniques and equipment such as gas cooling, PPV, NPV, Compressed air foam, PPBA, A26 spec PPE etc.
What a different place of work and quite rightly too.  ;)

And as to H&S legislation in the FRS; if someone places someone else in danger of death at work without good cause and RA then they should quite correctly be prosecuted, I believe. With appropriate training and equipment and the application of that training, along with appropriate command and control, there is no reason modern fire fighting staff cannot efficiently carry out all the rescue and fire fighting duties they need to…………safely.  8)

Much more safely than I had to.
Everyone has the right to go home after work.
Sorry for the rant everyone.
And the wheeled escape. Now there was a ladder to work from.
Crawling about in negative pressure BA sets.
Carrying down. Is that still taught?
Carrying up (unofficially).
Water fights in the yard. Good for morale
Volley ball in the yard. Even better for morale.
Watch sea fishing trips.
etc etc

Bloody glad I'm out of it.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline jayjay

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 09:37:11 PM »
Don't forget the hook ladders and proto sets

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 09:40:13 PM »
I said not to mention hook ladders !  :-X ;D
Sam

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Don't forget the hook ladders and proto sets
I'm not as old and wrinkly as you JJ.
How are you getting on with the colostomy bag? ;D

Offline Clevelandfire 3

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 11:10:27 PM »
trouble with colostme bags is finding a hat to match.firefighters have it easy these days. much tougher in my day i can tell you. reminds me of a monty python sketch.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 02:37:02 PM »
Who's monty python in fact who are you?  :(
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:40:20 PM by Tom Sutton »
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 03:04:13 PM »
Who's monty python in fact who are you?  :(
Oh, thats Cleaver. He drops in now and again. He is usually away quite a bit on special operations in you know where. We don't like to talk about it here too much because the last member who did disappeared from the Banter Bar one evening and was never seen again. The Head Barsteward was really upset as he had a very hefty unpaid tab. Even at the memorial service he couldn't persuade the poor man's wife to settle up despite his best attempts to prevent her going in until she did.

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 07:41:48 PM »
Who are you, I have a faint recollection of a guy who pens great jokes on a Friday, I think or maybe?

Offline Clevelandfire 3

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 11:35:31 PM »
where am I ? I also recall he dont pen good jokes on a friday or any day really.