Author Topic: An alternative to having 2x FD doors between a kitchen and the lift system?  (Read 4471 times)

Offline GLSafety

So regulations state that in blocks of flats, you have to have a minimum of 2 doors between a kitchen and the lift system (which is why lots of flats have small 'lobbies' or 'cloakrooms' as soon as you walk inside). However, apparently there is a fire safety system that can be installed which passes the same regulations and means you don't need to have that second door. Does anyone know what this is?

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
So regulations state that in blocks of flats, you have to have a minimum of 2 doors between a kitchen and the lift system (which is why lots of flats have small 'lobbies' or 'cloakrooms' as soon as you walk inside).
I dont think you are interpreting the guidance correctly GLS. There are a number of reasons for the presence of the internal lobby to flats. Mostly it is all about the safety of the occupants of the flat itself and, to a lesser extent fire protection to the communal areas in many cases. It applies irrespective of whether there is alift or not. You could do a lot worse than to read the LGA guidance on fire safety risk assessment in existing blocks of flats. Its available for free download on the LGA website. You may be referring to a sprinkler system which according to BS9991 can be used in some cases as an alternative to a protected lobby inside the flat.   

Offline GLSafety

Thanks for the reply Kurnal, I know about the sprinkler system alternative however the landlord has said there is an other alternative. I have been racking my brains to what is. I just thought that someone on here might know.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
water mist? I have seen some people install curtains and pretend that they wil do the job - they have managed to pull the wool over peoples eyes though

Offline GLSafety

Thanks Kurnal,

I don't fancy telling someone to fit a fire curtain if it wont to do the job. Watermist, I will have a look into that .