Author Topic: research topic required  (Read 4944 times)

research topic required
« on: October 13, 2004, 04:49:47 PM »
Can anyone help me, is more fire research needed, or do we have enough information on fires? What areas is more information required?

I am just thinking about selecting a topic for further study.

Thanks

research topic required
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 09:36:15 PM »
What about researching why Firemen are 4 times more likely to suffer from testicular cancer than the rest of the population.
Is it because of their proximity to toxic fumes,whilst not in BA, in the immediate aftermath of fires which have been extinguished but still give off invisible products of combustion?
Or could it be that upon return to Station following a fire the very first thing they do, is go to the toilet before washing soot etc off their hands?

Chris Houston

research topic required
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 09:56:43 PM »
Why people fail to do their fire safety risk assessments, why the government allow this situation to continue, if we will only all wake up to the problem after a catastrophy.

Just a suggestion.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
research topic required
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 08:18:18 PM »
Narrow it down a bit, Fire Dynamics, Fire Safety or Fire Fighting.

There's no shortage of things that need sorting.

Offline Ian Scrim

research topic required
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 12:42:12 AM »
As a Firefighter that has had testicular cancer I am interested in "Guests" comment that firefighters are 4 times more likely to suffer from testicular cancer, I have not heard of this statistic before.
Does any one know of its  origin ?

Testicular awareness is just as important as breast awareness

"Feel those Balls"

Thanks to all in the NHS for the quality of care I received 14 years ago and the ongoing checks,

javascript:emoticon(':D')

Offline p.b.morgan

research topic required
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 12:16:27 PM »
We know very little about smouldering fires. Flaming fires OK but not what goes on beforehand and when to predict the transition from smouldering to flaming.

The role of alcohol in fire incidence (and incidents). Investigators have a fund of tales eg the householder who lights the waste basket to find their way across the sitting room and trips...  

Examine effective means of information exchange to stop re-inventing the wheel. Firenet v useful here. How to extend this excellent goodwill forum.

Look at how useful standard fire tests of construction materials are to the fire fighter.
Penny