Author Topic: Competent Person!  (Read 7917 times)

Offline cbfire999

• www.firesafety.org.uk
Competent Person!
« on: October 30, 2004, 07:19:08 PM »
What constitutes a competant person?  There is a lot of emphasis put on the fact that risk assesments and Fire training should be carried out by somebody who is deemed "competant".  Surely to carry out these tasks, individuals should have had some formal training or passed the relevant qualifications!!  Your thoughts Gents please.

Chris Houston

Competent Person!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 10:29:35 PM »
You raise a very important point.  As far as I am aware, the term "competant person" is not legally defined anywhere and therefore it is the courts who must decide.

Offline John Webb

Competent Person!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 10:57:45 PM »
The HSE Book 'Management of health and safety at work' Approved Code of Practice and Guidance, L21 published in 1999 says on page 14 that the organisation of H&S at work should include:
(c) securing competence by the provision of adequate information, instruction and training and its evaluation, particularly for those who carry out risk assessments and make decisions about preventative and protective measures. Where necessary this will need to be supported by the provision of adequate health and safety assistance or advice.

This leaves, I feel, a wide range of choices with a company as to how they provide competent persons eg 'on the job' training, external training courses (or trainers) or employing a person who is suitably qualified already.

I hope this is of some assistance. The keeping of training records of those being made into competent persons is obviously a very important task to be neglected at your risk!
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Offline Giovanni

Competent Person!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 09:29:27 AM »
Regulation 7 of The Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999 defines a competent person as: -

"A person shall be regarded as competent where he has sufficient training and experience or knowledge and other qualities to enable him properly to assist in undertaking the measures........blah, blah" (as required by a dictionary definition of "adequately qualified").

Clear as mud?

You decide!

Gio.  ;)

Chris Houston

Competent Person!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 07:52:35 PM »
Yeah, but unless something defines what that means, then it's down to the courts.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Competent Person!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 03:45:58 AM »
In terms of FRAs, competence can be demonstarted by registration on the IFE Register of fire risk assessors and auditors. That was why it was set up.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Chris Houston

Competent Person!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004, 11:33:41 PM »
I'm all for the IFE's register.  But it is a shame that there are only 7 people on it.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Competent Person!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 12:16:00 AM »
The reason that there are only 7 people on it Christopher is that:
1. It is relatively new. It had to start off with just one person on it conceptually.
2.It is up to people to apply, and not everyone is aware of it. However, the applications are rolling in.
3. Not everyone who applies is successful, as proper scrutiny is given to all applications and there is not simply a rubber stamping process.

One hopes you have your appliation in!
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates