Author Topic: DIY - Chester Step Test - Test yourself before they test you!! :)  (Read 57760 times)

Offline BMorfill

Hello,

I felt compelled to join and share this.

After marginally failing my step test twice, I have been given a 3rd chance which I will take next month at Shropshire Fire Service.

I have been doing some research and by recorded a metronome for 2mins at 60bpm, 2mins @ 80bmp, 2mins at 100bpm, 2mins at 120bpm and 2mins at 140bpm, and redrawing a chart I found on the internet, I have now managed to put together everything that is needed to take your own Chester Step Test.

I found most of the information here http://www.fireservice.co.uk/fitness/chesterstep.php so it should all be correct.  The chart I have redrawn from this one http://www.cebp.nl/vault_public/filesystem/?ID=1272

** Edit **

Okay, here is the chart http://www.mediafire.com/?4dxdew9jtox

and here is the audio http://www.mediafire.com/?ecce4jnjwgz

Good Luck!

If I remember correctly this is how to carry out the test:

Items required - 12" Step, Heart Rate Monitor, metronome audio and Chart.

1. Draw a horizontal line on the chart at your maximum heart rate (220 - Your Age) and one at 80% of your maximum.  

2. Start the audio and begin stepping in time to the metronome.

3. Take your heart rate every 2 minutes when prompted and mark the chart above the roman numerals (I, II, III, IV, V)

4. When you have reached the end of the test you should have 5 heart rate readings.

5. Plot a line of best fit through the readings you have given, and continue it through the final reading to the maximum heart rate line.  

6.  At the point where the plotted line breaks the maximum line, draw a vertical line down the chart to the numbers along the bottom, this is your test result.

7. If you score 45 or above you have passed!

Please can someone confirm this, or correct me if I am wrong, and I will alter the instructions above.

Thanks

Barry

Offline Tall Paul

DIY - Chester Step Test - Test yourself before they test you!! :)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 11:03:04 AM »
Thanks B Morfill.  I have a friend who is similarly about to take his third and last attempt at the test.  I will point him in this direction.

Paul

Offline BMorfill

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 11:23:51 AM »
Quote from: Tall Paul
Thanks B Morfill.  I have a friend who is similarly about to take his third and last attempt at the test.  I will point him in this direction.

Paul
Please wait until this has been verified by someone with a little more knowledge.

Can anyone help?

Offline mh

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 11:48:25 AM »
Nice one BMorfill, i have my medical next week.  Got any tips for passing the step test?

Offline BMorfill

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 11:58:14 AM »
Quote from: mh
Nice one BMorfill, i have my medical next week.  Got any tips for passing the step test?
Other than get fit, I'm afraid not.  I am yet to pass my test, I failed by the narrowest of margins at the beginning of this year (I am doing it for the 3rd time on the 10th of July)  

I have been told that a "real world" test for the level of fitness you need is that you should be able to run 1.5 miles in under 10.5 mins.  

I have been doing a lot more running since my last test so I do think I am quite a bit fitter, last night I ran 3.5 miles in 30mins, not amazing I know, but hopefully somewhere close to where I need to be.

Once again, please don't take my instructions and files as gospel until someone has confirm their accuracy.

Offline Tall Paul

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 01:28:06 PM »
It may not be verified yet BMorfill, but it is better than any advice I could give him.

Paul

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 06:25:03 PM »
As someone who has passed it! this all sounds correct although I would check what the minimum level is with your specific brigade rather than assuming it's 45 for all.

Also if you are struggling with it a little it may be a good idea to get a mate to help and let them record your HR without you knowing what it is, often anxiety can make a significant difference to your HR (if you think your going to fail because your HR on the last level was higher than you would have liked then you probably will because your worrying about it, see what I mean?).

Remember the important reading of your HR is at the change of level, it can go higher then settle back down, as long as it's not too high on the change of level it's ok!

The personrecording the information should also be advised to stop you if either you exceed your maximum HR by a long way on the change of level or most importantly and obviously if you look like you are over exerting yourself and about to drop dead!!

It is possible to get 'step test' fit so stick at it!.

For what it's worth I don't rate the step test much it's not a very good measure of fitness for the fire service, the Bleep test is a much better one as it's maximal and progressive rather than being based solely on your HR, to start with I couldn't pass the step test with the best will in the world but could comparitively easily do the bleep test!  I know some people will disagree with me on that but it's my opinion!!

Finally,

Good luck to all of you trying to get what is still arguably one of the best jobs in the world!!

Andy

Offline Kaiser

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 11:45:16 PM »
I remember doing my Chester Step Test when I got in the job.  I was very nervous when I started and could feel my heart racing whilst waiting for the test to start, I managed to stare at a spot on the wall and daydream myself in to a nice steady relaxing sailing trip, it did the trick and my pulse dropped quicker than a tarts knickers.  I sailed for the whole of the test and passed it quite easily.

Try thinking about something that relaxes you and maybe it will !!!
Malo Mori Quam Foed Ari

Offline BMorfill

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 07:33:28 PM »
FYI - I was passed fit at my medical yesterday =D

Good Luck everyone else.

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 06:15:19 PM »
Quote from: BMorfill
FYI - I was passed fit at my medical yesterday =D

Good Luck everyone else.
WELL DONE, WHAT'S NEXT?